Sign in to follow this  

Newer Chevy 2500 diesel owners.

So I've narrowed down my choices for my next truck for DDing while I turn my prerunner into a full blown OHV. It's going to be either a F250 or the Chevy 2500. I come from a Ford family and have always had good luck with them. My dad has an 08 250 6.4 that's treated him extremely well. I just really prefer the newer Chevy styling.

So my question is how have you been treated by your 2500 diesels? Any issues to look out for, or any recalls? I know the F2 tends to get gas in the oil if you do the oil changes at the recommended 10k miles. Easy fix is to do it every 5k. Anything like that for the 6.6? I know the Chevys can be tough on the ball joints in their suspension, especially in dusty/muddy conditions.

Thanks for your time in advance, gentlemen.

How new? My 94 2500 diesel just lost a tie rod bushing. Aside from that and burning a little, oil its a trusty steed. 235k and only problem is it bounces ~45mph

How new? My 94 2500 diesel just lost a tie rod bushing. Aside from that and burning a little, oil its a trusty steed. 235k and only problem is it bounces ~45mph

New as in 2012 or later.

I have a 2011 bought new in 2012 (trucks 11/12/13/14 are all the same LML engine). I've put 100k miles on it in 2yrs. As a whole the truck has been bulletproof since I bought it. I did have to replace the front brakes at 80k miles due to them warping.

But, at 100k miles the truck went to shit. The EGR went, the DEF pump that sits in the tank went (and you have to replace the whole thing @ $1200+labour). On top of all that, the shitty Fram airfilter I was using folded in half due to the crazy amount of air these trucks pull and dusted my turbo. $4000 bill for that alone. The EGR was covered under warranty but the DEF problem I had to pay for.

Fuel economy is outstanding with my best being 20.5mpg at 65mph. Worst has been 13mpg when hauling my Skidsteer but I'm over 10k pounds between the trailer and Skidsteer. The truck is slow to get of the line but the mid range and up will break the tires if the TC and Stabilitrac are turned off. The trans has been fantastic. As for tuners, they can tune your engine but the new Allison trans are pretty hard to crack and as far as I know they haven't been able to match the trans to the tuned engine yet. Basically means you have to lift your foot when running a hot tune....

You can't fit anything bigger then 33s on the truck without a serious trim of the fenders or a lift kit.

The interior is nice and quite and for me it's been the same since new. The doors don't squeak or feel worn. The windows still roll up nice and tight too. The auto start is only good if you're sitting in the truck, with the key in the ignition, turned forward and on. Yeah I'm saying it's crap but I have the Onstar used on my phone allowing me to start the truck anywhere....

The paint on the truck seems to be OK, tailgate still opens and shuts firmly. The lights are fantastic as usual, more then enough cup holders and the blind spots are minimal...

All that being said, I would buy another one and currently looking at another one as we speak...

• Like 3

Then no, I'm sure it'll work fine, as the Ford would. No way to go wrong with either

Well, like I pointed out the 6.4 with the DPF and Regen cycles will get gas in the oil if you do the oil changes as they recommend every 10k miles. An easy fix is to do the oil changes every 5k. I'm mainly trying to find out if there's anything like that for the new Chevys. I know their ball joints don't do well with bigger tires and lifts.

I'm also trying to see if there's any possible issues like the notorious 6.0 PSD.

Well, like I pointed out the 6.4 with the DPF and Regen cycles will get gas in the oil if you do the oil changes as they recommend every 10k miles. An easy fix is to do the oil changes every 5k. I'm mainly trying to find out if there's anything like that for the new Chevys. I know their ball joints don't do well with bigger tires and lifts.

I'm also trying to see if there's any possible issues like the notorious 6.0 PSD.

Sounds like monk covered that

I run Rotella white bottle and change the oil between 5k-8k miles....

Nice, no real issues with anything? And are those both the same truck or 2 separate ones? Kinda hard to tell on my phone.

Same truck..

Oh, nice. Somehow I missed your write up and just now read it. Do they have a fix for the air filter issue? And the slow off the line but tearing tires loose is the same way with my dad's F2. Took me awhile to get used to. I'm planning to get a 4x4 and am not too worried about getting tires over 33" in the wells.

What caused the DPF part to fail in the tank?

Oh, nice. Somehow I missed your write up and just now read it. Do they have a fix for the air filter issue? And the slow off the line but tearing tires loose is the same way with my dad's F2. Took me awhile to get used to. I'm planning to get a 4x4 and am not too worried about getting tires over 33" in the wells.

What caused the DPF part to fail in the tank?

The airfilter issue is just cheaply made filters by Fram. Ill just run the stock ones from now on out...

As for the DEF failure, it's not a common known issue but more of one of those "shit happens" kinda deals. Yup it sucks but if I can get another 100k miles outta it I have very little to complain about. The slow off the line is related to the single turbo and motor setup. Dodge makes a insanely jumpy engine due to its layout. In all tests the GMs spank the other trucks though. Just very good motors.

Nice, no real issues with anything? And are those both the same truck or 2 separate ones? Kinda hard to tell on my phone.

No real issues to report other then the brakes. I did a oil analysis with about 9k miles on it and the oil was surprisingly clean.

Don't buy an F250. Just don't. Can't go wrong with the Allison/Duramax combo. I have an Allison 5 speed hooked up to my 8.1 liter gasser in my 2500HD and I've beat the SHIT out of that thing and it's still going. It's got 200k on the original tranny and I've pulled everything from heavy boats with triple axle trailers, to horse trailers, loaded the bed down with way more than the recommended payload max, been off-roading where I push the pedal to the floor and it just rows through the gears, I mean this thing is bulletproof. Been driven all around Texas pulling all kinds of loads in the heat and never gets above 160 degrees. I ran it out of oil one time and drove probably 100 miles after that (yeah, it went into protection mode a couple times but I just turned the truck off and restarted), and when I replaced the seal and filled her back up she was happy to get back to work. No rancher I've talked to has had any problems with an Allison, and those guys pull.

Mg biggest issue with the stock Alison is stock power is about it. Anything over 450hp and you get tremendous slip. Not as bad with a gas engine but can be horrible with a diesel....

We ( work ) have a new 2500 HD

and besides the exterior door handle failures and the weak front replacement parts   end it has been a good truck

also have a bulletproof f250 6.0 that has been flawless  actually more dependable than the GM sister truck that was traded away because of repeated ball joint and tie rod issues

I am not a Ford fan  but until GM dumps the car front end it's F series for Me  

I would by a Dodge  HD before a GM   and I am a GM fan

Don't buy an F250. Just don't.

Why do you say that? We have a 2012 F-250 with the 6.7 Powerstroke and the thing has worked perfectly so far. Its used as a farm truck much like you described. I also find it funny that when I haul loads of straw to the local construction supply place every single contractor truck in there is a Ford. Don't get me wrong I think each brand has its strong and weak points, but I'm not a fan of bashing them with no explanation.