Sign in to follow this  

It pains me to ask this....

I currently have a KLX450R and have had it about six months. I do not get to ride it as much as i would like because my work keeps me away from home for long periods. So basically i will probably end up riding it 20-25 times per year depending on my schedule. I am finding that not having the time to ride as often as i like is making this beast tough to tame for me. I did an 80km ride recently with lots of technical rock and river bed riding and basically was absolutely KNACKERED by the end. I swapped and rode my mates Berg Te250 for the last half hour and it was chalk and cheese to me. When i was dead on my feet from wrestling the 450 i found the berg a pleasure to ride. I am thinking that i should down scale to a 250.I also found out recently that my girl and i are expecting our first born end of the year so this is also a factor in the down scale. I am thinking a Yamaha WR250F at this stage. Any advice would be appreciated. I say it pains me to ask this as i have always been a Kawa man and was so set on the KLX and now am finding that it is maybe not for me.

I'll second what chooken says. Weighs the same as a 250 with power close to that of a 450. I just looked up the claimed wet weights and the wr is 254lbs with fuel and the ktm is 237lbs without fuel and has a 2.4 gallon tank which means it weighs 251lbs with fuel. Looked up dyno runs too and the wr is under 33hp while the ktm is around 47hp. The 350 is a perfect solution to your issue.

• Like 1

The 350 XCF is basically the do it all machine for the 4 stroke side of things.

I would love a 350 KTM but in my neck of the woods they start at 6K and go up. i will get 5K for my 450 MAX. For a nice WR it will be around 3.5-4K. I will end up buying a bike in South Africa as the choice in Zimbabwe is very limited and then have to pay 45% Duty to import the bike into Zimbabwe. So basically price of the KTM is the problem right now. What year did KTM start making the 350 4 stroke? I can only find them from 2012 and up? i am not really up to speed on KTM models.

2015 KTM's are almost here in S.A, you can expect to see some good last stock deals on the 2014`s. You rode your mates Berg and loved it, so why not consider getting a KTM 250 XC-W. For the type if riding you do and the limited time you have to ride the 2 Stroke is the ticket, don't get me wrong the 350 XC-W is a great bike for off road use, consider though that the 4 strokes costs a lot more and you would get the KTM 250 XC-W for a steal. You would likely also be able to get a decent used low hours 2013 KTM if you looking for around.

Edited by Van Wick
  • Like 1

2015 KTM's are almost here in S.A, you can expect to see some good last stock deals on the 2014`s. You rode your mates Berg and loved it, so why not consider getting a KTM 250 XC-W. For the type if riding you do and the limited time you have to ride the 2 Stroke is the ticket, don't get me wrong the 350 XC-W is a great bike for off road use, consider though that the 4 strokes costs a lot more and you would get the KTM 250 XC-W for a steal. You would likely also be able to get a decent used low hours 2013 KTM if you looking for around.

Maybe i should be looking at 2 strokes. i guess i have always just gone for 4 strokes. My knowledge of 2 strokes is limited.

I went from 2T's to 4T's and going back to 2T again, there is a slight change in riding style between the two but nothing you don't learn in a ride or two. I like them both and maintenance wize I find them the same.

Other than mixing 2t oil you can't go wrong.

Edited by Van Wick