Sign in to follow this  

My 1994 DR350SE

This is Bazuki, my first motorcycle. I bought Bazuki a couple years ago because I have wanted a motorcycle since I could remember and had the means to do so. I picked her up during my lunch break at work and rode her back to the shop I work at. While talking out back, the subject of bazookas came up, and in a caffeine fueled frenzy the words 'bazooka' and 'Suzuki' collided in my brain, hence the name Bazuki. And it's here to stay. 

So anyways, I've ridden this bike for a couple of years now. A lot of street duty and what ever dirt road I could find, which wasn't many since I've never looked for such things and knew where none of them were. But I've gone on a couple trips and learned enough to know that I don't have a clue about what I'm doing on dirt. That only makes in more fun. 

The day I got her.

1f4eba86.jpg

First trip in to the North Cascade mountain range. The little DR200 is no more. Suffered a quick, yet horrible death in a rock quarry.

2d644008.jpg

And then her second.

ee6a058f.jpg

Ok, kidding. We drove a Jeep there and stayed the night. Screwed around all day and got a killer sunset. So enjoy the damn picture.

This was her last trip before snow descended upon the Cascades. Packed up and rode 50 miles out side of town. Spent two nights in a little hunting cabin my buddy built and the days exploring. This was taken on the last day just before eating lunch and heading home. This is the trip that made me fall madly in love with Bazuki. I chose to keep the old Suzuki over getting a new KTM or Yamaha. Will that turn out to be a good idea? We'll see.

1236461_10151696734984961_1742666620_n_z

Then someone gave me a gorram GoPro Hero 3 Black. There is no riding in this video, but a couple curse words, and an idiot. Note, this was shot before I replaced the rear tire with a Michelin T63, which I had on trip in the above photo.

Edited by XSrcing

That brings us to today. Time for some maintenance and repairs.

I decided to get some work done on the bike before the rainy season is over and riding season gets in to full swing. So I pulled Bazuki in and stripped her plastics off and pressure washed her.

ED0D9DAE-C5E8-476D-B0FB-AF192E71AC76_zps

I need to have the seat recovered. There is a guy down the street that does all the work for one of the local race shops, so I'm going to have him do it with black neoprene. Probably not going to do anything with the plastics except slowly replace them with stuff that isn't so old and beat up. The skid plate it in great shape, though.

BC9C5204-BD32-4A8B-8621-C1DF9832051C_zps

I'm not even going to try to save this piece of crap. Going to pick up a Twin Air foam filter to replace it. I still have to cut out more of the air box.

3FE30028-0EA1-48A5-A792-B518358A655A_zps

Cleaning an lubricating my levers and I notice the clutch pivot hole is a nice oval. Add that to the parts list.

0550B945-9756-46DF-8350-840AB2DF5658_zps

The clutch perch seems to be in good shape. All the holes are still round and there are no visible cracks. Don't know if I'm going to keep the factory mirrors.

CB05223F-C56C-460A-9B7A-3EE215D6C483_zps

While I'm in there I might as well get rid of the pesky clutch safety switch. Suzuki made this easy by wiring it in with bullet connectors so no splicing required.

C0956D69-D9C2-477F-BDA2-58BF9BB742C0_zps

I am to the point where I need to drain the fuel tank to pull it off. The front fender is getting replaced. Not sure what I'm going to do with the rear. An MX rear would look cool but I would need a new tail light with built in turn signals. And I don't know about strapping luggage back there. Modify the stock one?

I've inspected the entire frame and found zero cracks. The spark plug has less than 500 miles on it and looks great. I have everything to change the oil. I even splurged for synthetic. Lets see if I get any leaks.

Rear brake pads have 800 miles on them, rotors are fine. Front pads have 200 miles on them, rotors are fine. Front and rear fluid was flushed 200 miles ago.

I should pull the clutch basket while I have it drained. There are a couple ridges I need to file down which make neutral hard to find when hot.

Airbox is out so I can take it to work to modify. The Matco 1/4" impact rules.

8E9ABF03-FC4E-4AE8-9A87-037AB77A771B_zps

I really wish I had an exhaust system in the budget right now.

Anyways. Picked up this electronic timer for my turn signal. Gets rid of the annoying relay and allows me to put any kind of lights on it without using resistors.

3AD297CB-15D7-40B4-96AC-5BA6DEEBFBDD_zps

You know, since I've already drained the oil, I should fix that clutch drag issue. So off come the clutch cover.

3ADA3163-DCCC-4B42-9971-2FE6DC0DFD54_zps

And I'm stuck. I have no idea where my 19mm socket is to get the clutch basket off. I'll just go watch dirt bike videos now.

F80CBC9B-5467-448A-AC9C-EA5A89DD9A3B_zps

It's been years since I've had a project vehicle of any kind. Last one was an FD RX7. It was fun but an absolute nightmare to maintain. This, on the other hand, is fun. And compared to RX7 prices, cheap as dirt. 

So you couldn't wait for me to strip and scatter my bike parts all over the place so you attacked yours? Good pics.

I bought that Matco electric impact and had to use it on something. Bazuki just happened to be in the garage at the same time.

I bought that Matco electric impact and had to use it on something. Bazuki just happened to be in the garage at the same time.

Well I guess the dog is damn happy he was at the vet at the time  :jawdrop:

• Like 1

I'm stupid and can't count. So I found my 19, but that isn't a 19, and I don't have anything bigger at the house. So I'll move on to the next thing.

0EC7C610-0DDE-468B-B4C2-A3BABE64CE78_zps

But that turned out to be a waste of time. I found one piece of dirt in there. But now I know for sure.

C60EC455-286A-43ED-8445-31F731FAF1F5_zps

3625B3C9-3754-49AC-ABBE-F98C6B40CB06_zps

856711DC-7338-41C4-94A9-B011CCE4C8BC_zps

So now I'm just waiting for parts.

While I just poke around I'll show you the exact reason I am starting to have issues with a sticky clutch (everyone on this board already knows this, but I have some people following that are completely clueless about mechanical things in general). This is the basket that holds the friction plates. The grooves aren't allowing them to move away from the steel plates when I pull the clutch lever effectively creating pressure between them. I'm just going to use a mill file to take them down until they are smooth again and it should feel almost new. Almost. I just don't want to fork over $300 for new ones.

photo_zps7b10734e.jpg

Speaking of new, these are the original machining marks on the steels. There are almost no rotational markings on them. The frictions look brand new, as well. Either this bike has been babied it's entire life or they were replaced right before I bought it. What do you think?

photo1_zps09a9ebe2.jpg

I vote for babied. If I get my fuel injection going (I SHALL !!!!) Is that the stock CV (is that the right term) carb? If I get my fuel injection going I'll send you the jet kit for it.

That would be awesome!

So I've been thinking about what exhaust I want to put on this thing. Part of me wants to stay stock because it's quiet and that makes it easier to go certain places. Another part of me loves the sound of an opened up 4-stroke. Jesse's exhaust mod seems like the perfect choice on paper, but let's be honest; the stock muffler is uglier than sin and it's heavy to boot.

I will let you know soon about the jets.

I just searched ebay for dirt bike muffler in the power range of our dr350. 

I got this one on the way. How good or loud it is I don't know but he had a mechanic shorten and pack it to make more grunt in the low end and that appeals to me. Besides sho nuff is purty aint it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251524630168?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Edited by geaux

I took my airbox out this weekend. What a wrestling match but I won. What impressed me was how thick and heavy it is. 

Finally got around to working on it again last night. I have some pictures but p-bucket is blocked at work.

A question about my clutch: I filed down all the grooves on the clutch basket and reinstalled everything. The new clutch lever is on. I cleaned and lubricated the Motion Pro clutch cable. Operation is smooth as silk. But, I have all but a hair of slack removed from the line but have to pull the lever clear to the handle bars in order for the clutch to fully disengage (disengage enough for me to find neutral without effort). If I try to one or two finger it, I will pull the lever back until it touches the knuckles of my ring and pinky finger, but it still drags. Full engagement has the lever almost all the way out. Is this normal? I double checked that all the friction and steels were installed the correct direction. If you look at my previous post, you will see that the clutch looks almost brand new, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I will add, that the few years I have owned his bike, I have treated the clutch the same way I have with cars and have avoided slipping it as much as possible. Should I go slip the crap out of it and get it fully broken in or is this just the way it is?

Geaux, can I have that jet kit now? :D

Edited by XSrcing

My buddy came over last night and berated me for setting my dirt bike clutch up like a car. He adjusted it to how it should be and now it's an easy two-finger operation.

Then we got roaring drunk by the fire pit.

Cobbled her all back together really quick for a ride on Memorial Day. Went on some roads that hadn't been traveled on in years. Once I get it jetted right it should be able to keep up with the DRZ with no problems.

fEset2p.jpg

Time and money are super tight right now. So I am reduced to just looking at my bike in the garage as I wait until The Boss says I can spend more money on parts I broke Memorial Day.

So while I wait for parts I decided to tackle a couple electrical gremlins. First, was fixing the dimness of the tail light. I checked voltage and continuity and replaced a couple connectors and everything started working great. then while it was on the stand I grabbed the handle bars and straightened them...

click...I suddenly lose all electrical power. Turn the handle bars and 'click' everything comes back on.

Fantastic. I get to find a break in this rat's nest.

Found the culprit. The blinker timer had come unplugged and the lead was barely touching a ground when the wheel was pointed in certain directions. All because of the way I zip-tied the harness around that area.