Sign in to follow this  

Athena 144 kit info

Its time for a top end rebuild on my '11 yz125 and I was curious about these kits.

Im in the UK, Id consider the Eric Gorr option more but it would mean sending a cylinder over and having top buy another stock cylinder when/if i wanted to go back to a 125cc.

I do h&h enduro on the bike, and could use some extra low/mid to get me out of trouble on hilly courses.

Ive searched for a while for info but what I found was posts from a few years ago.

Is the problem with the head gaskets now sorted on the kits if I were to buy a new one now?

Is it true it halfs the life of your clutch and other parts such as water pump etc?

Any more info? Id just go for a 150xc or sx but I have a 200xc I use for trail riding, I just love the way this yam handles and feels. It suits me really well and I want to stick with it. Ive also considered a yz250 but I like to rev a bike rather than ride around using torque. I love the 125, and dont wish to change unless I sold it and brought a brand new 125. This things still pretty tight though for an '11.

Where is cheapest to get one of these kits? Is it true your best off having an aftermarket head? As that adds up cost. We cant get these kits in the uk to my knowledge so I have to import from the US and pay the stupid customs charges

The first gen kits had remove able head inserts and where like OEM used a o ring head for what ever reason would blow the o ring prob crap machining from Athena. So the second gen kit the head is one cast piece and they use a special head gasket. Which the gasket is only avail from atAthena so means you have to keep spares.

Then you have to set it up make sure the squish is correct and the porting is suspect not sure about using a different brand of piston in thiers kit. I have a gorr 144 myself for years read on other forums similar complaints about the athena kit not being a bolt on it required work to make it run right

Thanks for the reply. Interesting info. Ive been searching around more. I also emailed Eric Gorr and and asked how much to send me a modified cylinder, rather than sending my cylinder to the us, waiting and him sending one back. But had no reply off him/them.

What I was hoping for is someone who has had an athena kit for a while, like more than a couple of seasons, and has good thing to say about it in terms of reliability and performance.

I had a lot of issues with my athena 144 head gasket, and it was the updated version. Total pain in the ass.

There was the rinaldi kit at one point not sure if that is avil still it wasn't cheap could be through vd laar now. surprized there is not a tuner in the uk that could do the work with all of them smokers rolling around over there.