Sign in to follow this  

Counter-shaft sprocket seal keeps blowing

Hi, I've got a 2004 KLX400R.  In the last 12 months the CS seal keeps letting go resulting in ruined rides and fortunately not a ruined motor.

I read the thread in the FAQ.  What I'd like to know is if there's an improved product out there to stop this happening?  Or if there's a reason why it might keep chewing the seal?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew.

Its not a big issue normally, the question is why this is happening with your bike. If not seeing obvious contaminant damage such as grass or weeds ripping the seal, metal sleeve is in good shape, no deep cut, and assuming your not damaging the seal when you install it. Id say that you have an issue with shaft wobbling or similar.

Edited by Spud786

Someone will post up... but if you do a search you will find out your bike has some internal parts that are worn in the transmission area. There is a gear or bushing you need to replace, be prepared to split the case or at least pull a cover. replacing the worn part is the only thing that's going to fix your problem

What is the condition of the spacer that rides in the seal?

post-18851-13264040143126.jpg

If the surface that contacts the oil seal (lips) is corroded/pitted/grooved then the spacer needs to be replaced.  Also have to done the "loctite-fix" on the C/S nut?

Andy - tell us more about the problem.  How many seals in a year?  Condition of the seal collar (seal spacer)  When you say blow, how does it blow?

There is no need for an improved product. Under normal conditions the seal will last the life of the motorcycle.  If you have a seal problem it is something unique to your motorcycle.

Possibly related to a warn countershaft bearing but not to any internal spacers.  That is a different problem.

Someone will post up... but if you do a search you will find out your bike has some internal parts that are worn in the transmission area. There is a gear or bushing you need to replace, be prepared to split the case or at least pull a cover. replacing the worn part is the only thing that's going to fix your problem

Second gear bushing wear has no relation to a seal failure.

The repeated seal failure is going to be an install issue, spacer issue or crankcase pressurization issue.  Or your just using the bike in a manner that leads to its to early failure ..deep mud that packs in behind the sprocket and grinds away at the seal. , long tall grass that winds its way in behind the seal and chews it up....ect

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.  This is the third seal in a year.  I haven't checked the condition of the spacer yet, as it's parked in my mate / mechanic's shed. It had been Loctited on.

The bike does get ridden through some pretty extreme terrain, as it's used purely off-road. It had also just had a full week of riding.  Beach, bush, mud.  By blowing, I mean it just lets go and leaks oil out.

Interesting to read about the vent hose, as a friend had suggested that.  Gives us a few starting points to sort this.

Edited by Andy7005