Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400s gearing

Im running 14-45 on my bike now but am due for sprockets and chain and am thinking of going to 15-47 or 15- 46 What changes could I expect.  Thx   Mike

not a huge change but depending on where you ride the most it may or may not work for you .. for instance on the street you could expect simliar cruising rpms in a given gear to give you several more mph maybe 4-5 .. if you ride in the dirt alot you may feel like you cant slow it down enough and keep on the power in tight stuff ..

ZERO difference. Or very very little.

1 tooth up front = 3 teeth in back.

Going UP 1 tooth in front = going DOWN 3 teeth in back.

So you are proposing going UP 3t (in effect) from the front change, and going DOWN 2t on the rear swap.

Wouldn't make any sense.

14/45 is exactly the same as 15/48 or 16/51 or going the other way, 13/42.

SO depends on what you want? MOre top speed (at the cost of low end grunt), gear higher. Keep 45 and change front to a 15t.

More low end grunt? Drop the front to a 13t.

1t front or 3t rear is a very noticeable difference. If you want more than that either way, then you can change both, but for faster say 15/42 or 43 (More T in front is the same as Less T in back)

Edited by MindBlower
  • Like 1

i just hit 165kph easily with 15 -39 gearing

my drz is all stock

yes i just baught this bike and the guy that has it before told me that he hit 170 with it ... i did 165 no problem!

my drz is all stock

My stock 2013 DRZ 400sm would take a while to get to 165kph and it would be totally reving to the limit. I would not recommend taking it past 130kph with standard gearing 15-47.

yes i just baught this bike and the guy that has it before told me that he hit 170 with it ... i did 165 no problem!

What model DRZ do you have..?

15/39T

If your got an SM , you would at around 9,200 rpm@165 km/h and over 9,500 rpm@ 170 km/h

S would be 8,600 rpm @165 km/h and 8,900 rpm @170 km/h....

I am somewhat skeptical of these achievements on a stock engine, especially if you have an SM....

Edited by Craigo 485sm

yes i got a sm... i was suprise too when i paSsed 160... i will try to make a video !

If you have the stock instrument, I reckon you would have some speedo error going on...or even may have an S speedo drive

Edited by Craigo 485sm

What hell is 165 kph? okay 103 mph

Is that really hard to believe for a stock sm, The stock s with no mods can do about 98, and a lot more air resistance. Of course fiqure a couple mph speedo error, but I don't think 103 on a totally stock sm is far fetched on the read out.