Sign in to follow this  

Upgrading battery?

Hey guys I have a 2001 xr 650r kickstart only and I was curious if it's possible to upgrade to a regular 12v battery. I'd really like to install an alarm on my bike and a few other things. I don't know much about electronics so I thought I'd ask. My father has a 02 electric start xr650r so his has a battery.

If it is possible how easy is it to do and approx how much would it cost? Could a regular non electric wiz do it?

Edited by nm767

lithium ion batteries are available that are small and light weight. needed would be a rectifier to change ac to dc from the alternator and a regulator so the battery doesnt over charge if the bike doesnt already have these things.battery could go under the seat or behind the headlite. im not sure how the 650r is set up but the 600r has ac going to its headlite. someone here can give more info.

You will need a reg/rec Im using a Trail Tech one that has a built in 12v switch what it does is picks up if motor is running and will turn on /off the lights etc automaticly. Then you remove the stock ac reg and wire lights to battery. A Antigravity 4cell is tiny can put in your pocket!

Will that be enough to power stronger headlight, alarm while bike is not running, and maybe 12v outlet etc. ? Also where do you get those?

Will that be enough to power stronger headlight, alarm while bike is not running, and maybe 12v outlet etc. ? Also where do you get those?

First why are you wanting to run the headlight without motor running? If you want to run big headlights you need a bigger stator because if your headlights etc is pulling more than stator can run then no matter how big battery is it wil still die it will just take a little longer will battery! And what are you wanting to run on 12v outlet? if you want to say charge cell phone then yes the 4cell can handle that. The alarm you have to look at the standby draw it is small. But you still could not say leave it in garage for days with alarm on. IMO a alarm on 650R is a waste two people with van or pickup will just backup to it throw in back haul ass with alarm going off! would take about 15sec to do it! One off the good cable locks arould pole or something is better than alarm now days a car alarm will go off and nowbody even looks! Oh here is batterys

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/antigravity-batteries-sc-1/

I apologize I must have not been clear in my wording. I only would want the alarm to be able to work if the bike was off not the lights. I'd like to be able to hook some kind of tender up to keep battery charged when in garage. I agree alarm isn't 100 % perfect but it doesn't hurt anything.

I'd like to be able to charge a cell phone or my Sena headset or possibly even hook up a GPS if I desired.

I apologize I must have not been clear in my wording. I only would want the alarm to be able to work if the bike was off not the lights. I'd like to be able to hook some kind of tender up to keep battery charged when in garage. I agree alarm isn't 100 % perfect but it doesn't hurt anything.

I'd like to be able to charge a cell phone or my Sena headset or possibly even hook up a GPS if I desired.

i can vouch for the antigravity battery, its what i use. sounds like the stock electrical system on this model is barely adequate for what it has. i would agree that adding more accessories would need a larger stator than stock. find out how many watts the stock system puts out. add up the wattage of all the accessories you want to run. you will need more than that number for battery charging. shop for a stator sized to your needs. 

well then 4cell anti gravity can do it. But still need reg/rec to charge it

also when sizing stator for what you need I like to keep the max draw below 3/4 than output of stator. Say you have a 200watt stator I would keep max draw below 150watts. Now on XR650R thats just lights etc. You dont count the power for the CDI as it has a coil just for that! Say a Ricky Stator has a 200watt for lights then it has a 50watt coil just for the CDI so total is a 250watt stator

Get yourself a ballistic 4 cell evo2. The thing weighs 444 grams(.979 lbs). If you go to their website they say that it is good for up to a 350cc dirtbike. In fact they claim a 8 cell is needed for the xr650l. This is not needed. The little 4 cell evo2 is all that is required. I believe it supplies the same amount of juice as the stock xr650l battery. It operates in temperatures from -18c to + 60f. I have had mine down to about -25c to +40c. No problems. They cost about $100. Awesome little power house.

Not sure what batteries BD is using these days, but I'd say rewind the stator and pop in something with a higher amp hour rating. They would probably be able to tell you what size you can run with the upgraded stator.

Ok lets make this simple if your stator can not handle the load it DONT matter how big of battery you put in it it WILL still die. The battery is only there to help take care of load when the bike is idling and stator is not putting out enough. Then when revs pickup stator takes over and runs things and charges battery. Dam this is NOT rocket sicence!!