Sign in to follow this  

What do you think about off brand tires?

I tried a Maxxis tire once and it lasted forever but was kind of unpredictable and didn't work well in different conditions.  I'd rather just spend the extra $15-20 and get a good tire like Bridgestone m403/404 or the new Dunlop MX52's. 

• Like 1

I tried a Maxxis tire once and it lasted forever but was kind of unpredictable and didn't work well in different conditions.  I'd rather just spend the extra $15-20 and get a good tire like Bridgestone m403/404 or the new Dunlop MX52's. 

I'm guessing you tried the Maxxis IT? I have found the same thing with that tire, very unpredictable on anything softer than concrete, but lasts forever. The Maxxis SI works much better in my opinion and is one of my favorite all around tires. These aren't really budget tires though, as they cost more than a Michelin or Bridgestone.

A couple years ago I ran some Rinaldi tires that were being sold out of Brazil for around $40 a piece. I bought two of them and after trying the one I sold the other on ebay, it was way too unpredictable. Since then I haven't tried any other budget tires. I would like to try one of those Artrax tires from motosport, I see some of them have gotten pretty good reviews.

• Like 1

For racing I use quality tires. For beating thru the rocks of CO, NM, AR, etc.  on my plated XR4 in DS mode I use whatever is cheapest. I love the old Cheng Shin 755 but can't find them anymore. The use dictates my choice.

I think the mainstream tires like Bridgestone Dunlop maxxis Pirelli etc are just too damn expensive. Has anyone had any GOOD experiences with "budget" tires?

I love mine i just trail ride but they work better than the michelins i had on my last bike 05 cr250 . They are Artracks i picked up at Motosport.com 89 bucks shipped  for the pair . Great reviews and i won't buy another expensive tire for the way i ride it's a waste for me. I picked this set because i live in north Ga. and usually end up in slick red clay/mud mixed and they paddle right out if you can keep it pointed straight  :lol:

IMG_2155.JPG

Edited by Beau 88

I'm guessing you tried the Maxxis IT? I have found the same thing with that tire, very unpredictable on anything softer than concrete, but lasts forever. The Maxxis SI works much better in my opinion and is one of my favorite all around tires. These aren't really budget tires though, as they cost more than a Michelin or Bridgestone.

A couple years ago I ran some Rinaldi tires that were being sold out of Brazil for around $40 a piece. I bought two of them and after trying the one I sold the other on ebay, it was way too unpredictable. Since then I haven't tried any other budget tires. I would like to try one of those Artrax tires from motosport, I see some of them have gotten pretty good reviews.

Try them you won't be disappointed easiest tire i've ever mounted also. 

I don't think about off brand tires but I dream about Bridgestone M402/404 tires.  I mean they aren't that expensive, you should be paying $65 for a front and $75 for a rear, any more and you're getting ripped off.  I know cycle gear charges that for their Shinko tires which is why I no longer go to Cycle Gear.  The Bridgestones also wear very well.  I know Dunlops run about $10 more per tire, perform the same, and don't last as long.  Too many bad experiences with Cheng Shen tires to ever go back to an off-brand.

Edited by 1987CR250R

I tried budget tires that I can't remember the name of but they came off in a week and a buddy of mine bought them. Unpredictable as could be.

You get what you pay for, people never want to listen and always try to go around spending money on something to buy crap. 9/10 times though, if you spend less you get less. 

I've said it lots of times on this site.

When it comes to tires for bikes, cars, trucks.

Buying tires you get what you pay for!

Want cheap you get cheap.

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 1

I bought some Full Bore MX37's last time round. They were $120 for the set at a local shop. They wore well, not quite as good as the Maxxis IT but better than some of the other cheap ones like Kenda etc. They were actually pretty planted/predictable and I would recommend them. 

After I had positive results with them I google searched them and found some favorable reviews. 

This one has some good info;

http://www.socalmoto.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21200

Edited by Kenpo1

My buddy was being cheap and tried the Artrax on his WR400. Was a nightmare to get the beads seated and didn't work well in the wet and rocky Oregon singletrack. He took them off pretty quick after not being able to make it up any of our regular hillclimbs.