Sign in to follow this  

Adult beginner looking for ideal trail bike for my size etc..

Hey there, my name is dave , new here.

I'm 6'2 about 180 lbs. I just got a 2000 rm 250 from a buddy. I'm a beginner, with mountain bike exp as well as having a kx 80 when young.

Thing is I'm pretty much trail riding in Oregon, hopefully some dunes riding, but don't really have desire for the track right now.

I've been out on it 4 times now and have been getting more confident and somewhat capable on trails. I'm still kinda scared of the powerband I have to say. I definitely "respect" the bike a lil to much .

So all that being said, would I be happier on a 4 stroke? A 125 2 stroke? Man up, grow in to it?

I'd be looking used. Prolly 2500 tops. That being said, I've liked working on the rm, cheap parts and easy work. I realize that's a different story with a 4 stroke prolly.

Any ( well, most ) advice appreciated. Thanks!

Love my 250f. I'm bigger than you,6'1 ,220 and I have no prob with power. It would be my go to choice

Have it taken apart right now, didn't have the holder, just gave it a fast hit with the hammer.

I see the steahly weights for 100 something. Any opinions?

Thanks, Dave

• Like 1

Have it taken apart right now, didn't have the holder, just gave it a fast hit with the hammer.

I see the steahly weights for 100 something. Any opinions?

Thanks, Dave

Just asked this question about my cr250 it will settle it down and  easier to start , I was going to go with the 12 or 13 oz. 

Also, I am having no stalling problems, I have fmf aftermarket pipes that I think give me more lee way?

Just want to tame the band if I can.

Thanks, Dave

Just asked this question about my cr250 it will settle it down and easier to start , I was going to go with the 12 or 13 oz.

Right on, thanks. Yeah I think the heaviest for the rm is 12 from steahly

Thanks, Dave

• Like 1

You could try a g2 throttle cam which allows more throttle control, and also a couple of teeth smaller rear sprocket, or one tooth larger front sprocket can really tame a bike until you  need the snappyness of a race bike.