Sign in to follow this  

Best tire set-up for 2014 KTM 300XC in WA State

Hello, I am back in the saddle on a 2 stroke again after many years on a 4 stroke!  I am wanting to get the stock tires off my bike since I can't seem to get a good feel with them up here in Washington State and was wondering what everyone likes for tires (front/rear) to make this bike handle/grip better on the trails up here?

Tubliss system, Dunlop AT81RC rear (2-15 psi depending on terrain), Dunlop 908 front (5-16 psi depending on terrain). This is what I am running and works great for virtually every terrain by just changing the pressures.

Where and when in Washington are you riding? Will make a bit of difference on tire selection

I am a four seasons rider and have been riding mostly at Capital Forest and Tahuya (Belfair) Forest lately, mainly on the west side of the state.  Lately the rain has been giving me a time trying to control the bike on the stock tires at 10-12 psi.

I should probably add I ride and race in the west side of Washington state.

I usually steer clear of tire and oil threads but here's my 2 cents.  I've run a lot of different tires and the best setup I've found are the Michelin M12XC (80/100)  front and S12XC (110/100) rear.  11 psi front and 9 psi rear.  They perform well in a variety of conditions and have a long life.  I ride mountain single track.

• Like 2

I'm running a m59 front with a maxxis desert it rear with ultra heavy tubes at 7 psi so far I think it's a great combo for the trails in north idaho.

• Like 1

I am a four seasons rider and have been riding mostly at Capital Forest and Tahuya (Belfair) Forest lately, mainly on the west side of the state.  Lately the rain has been giving me a time trying to control the bike on the stock tires at 10-12 psi.

I'm to the North of you and ride almost exclusively on snotty root & rock. I'm running a Pirelli MT-16 on the front and a Desert IT 81 on the back, both have the tubliss system but I recently punched a couple of holes the size of the grand canyon in the front so went back to a UHD tube until I get off my wallet and buy a new MT-16.

Sounds like your pressures are to high, I usually run 10 in the front and between 0 - 5 psi in the rear most of my riding is tight, technical stuff with the occasional flowing bunny trail, I have never ridden C.F. and only a couple times at Tahuya so not real familiar with your ground type but I know this set up works very well at Walker.

That's Canadian eh? Not sure of the exchange rate, or if there is an exchange rate and you also have to figure on import duties as well I believe, unless you know of someone traveling to / from Canada that would be willing to bring one down.

That's Canadian eh? Not sure of the exchange rate, or if there is an exchange rate and you also have to figure on import duties as well I believe, unless you know of someone traveling to / from Canada that would be willing to bring one down.

Coming down tomorrow!

• Like 1

Goldentyre GT216....

Those are some nice tires, but not sure about the price tag on them.  I was running Michelin Starcross MH3 on my 4 strokes down in GA, but not sure how well they would do up here in WA.  A friend mentioned to me about running Bridgestone M403/M404 on my bike.

I'm to the North of you and ride almost exclusively on snotty root & rock. I'm running a Pirelli MT-16 on the front and a Desert IT 81 on the back, both have the tubliss system but I recently punched a couple of holes the size of the grand canyon in the front so went back to a UHD tube until I get off my wallet and buy a new MT-16.

Sounds like your pressures are to high, I usually run 10 in the front and between 0 - 5 psi in the rear most of my riding is tight, technical stuff with the occasional flowing bunny trail, I have never ridden C.F. and only a couple times at Tahuya so not real familiar with your ground type but I know this set up works very well at Walker.

I like that mt16 front, too. Put it on because it is mentioned as a long wearing dot tire that works good, but I was really surprised at how much confidence it gave me [coming off an m12], This is at belfair and down to west bar in the greendots, very different conditions.

I like that mt16 front, too. Put it on because it is mentioned as a long wearing dot tire that works good, but I was really surprised at how much confidence it gave me [coming off an m12], This is at belfair and down to west bar in the greendots, very different conditions.

I've used a wide variety of front tires and have not found one that is as planted as the MT-16. Bridgestone, Dunlop, Motoz, etc. all felt sketchy to me in the corners., for me the 16 sticks and holds.