Sign in to follow this  

transplanting xr400r forks to a dr350, advise needed please.

Trying to upgrade my suspension I purchased a set of 98 xr400r forks. Reason being they are 43mm that will fit in my triple tree and has adjustments that are totally lacking in my forks. My wheel axle is 15mm and the xr400r is 17mm but I bought sleeves that should take care of that problem. I am praying I can transfer over my wheel without too much drama. 

I am 200 lbs and my riding style will be mostly street with gravel and rutted trails thrown in occasionally. If I get any major air and a hard landing it will be by accident. Can't say the same for my teenage boys though. They are still in the more brawn than brains stage. Ideally I would like to set up the forks for my weight without day to day bumps being too harsh but not so soft I destroy the forks if they come down major hard. 

Hopefully you good folks will set me straight toward those goals.

I have been doing a lot of research but alas sometimes I get things mixed up and muddled. Clarify for me if you can.

First I read the stock forks at rated at 41? For my weight shouldn't I try to find springs rated about 47? Any suggestion for stock springs off another bike that will fit the forks right length and rate? I know doubtful but I like to go cheap if I can.

Did I read there is a second smaller spring used for some sort of rebound? Does it truly exist? Should I leave it in?

I saw this thread on modifying the compression stack and it sounds ideal for my style riding. Is there a downside to it?

Another thing I am a bit confused about is you have to take the top caps off to do adjustments?  If I got them tuned in it wouldn't be a big deal but that just doesn't sound right. 

Seems that oil weight and levels is an active discussion with these forks. Some even go to the trouble to blend 7.5 wt. Suggestions for me?

Last did I get the right forks for me? Not a lot of options for 43mm forks that are not even older than 98. Looked at the xr600 but they didn't have the right features in the right years. Know of something better for my application?

Lot of questions and hopefully lots of answers or opinions. Of course thank yous and gratitude are given now in advance.

I'd say get them mounted up properly 1st then worry about set up. They should be as good or better than what you took off there with added adjustability.

I do know that stock XR springs will go straight into DR forks (if that helps at all). Gave my old ones to a buddy and we put them in his since they were a little stiffer rate. XR4, XR650L and XR600 I think all use the same series of aftermarket springs so there is a few choices to help with potential shopping.

What rate you put in and how the damping is set up will depend on a lot more than just rider weight so evaluate how they do "as is" before you sink more money into them.

Edited by michigan400

Yes good info and advise. Thank you.