Sign in to follow this  

yz125 or yz250

I ride a 06 yz125 with to many modds to list. I am 15 120 lbs and 5'8". I am wondering if i should get a yz250 or stick with my bike. I ride lots of track and woods/fields. One person i ride with has a 99 cr250 and its nice but it feels like my bike has more bottom to mid which confuses me. I love the feeling of my bike compared to his so I dont know if I should get a 250. I am by no means a pro but I can ride my 125 quite well.

I've always been a fan of slower progression. And if you can rip a moded out 06 125 (which is a pimp

Bike) than I would consider the 144 big bore. That way you will spend less money, and it will only improve your current bike that your used to. Then once you master the 144 and gain about 20-30 lbs you can go get that 250.

But for me, If I was as light as you, I'd go with the 144 fa sho!

Plus the 09 + YZf's have a newer lighter swing arm that can bolt on. Your 125 is a classic, solid work of art. Enjoy it while it's still a bike that is perfect of your style riding an your weight class.

Just my two pennies. Good luck bro. Braap on

At 120 pounds, I probably wouldn't put you on a yz250. You'd probably be super quick, but it could get out of hand very fast.

You're the perfect size for a 125/144. Heck, at 6'4" and 165 pounds a yz125 scooted me around just fine up and down mountains.

And yes, something is very wrong with that cr250....

Edited by Thinlineggman

A 700 would be awesome but I don't see one in my near future. Haha

Yea, that CR 250 must have something seriously wrong.  

At 120 lbs, you probably need to stick with the 125.  My son is your weight and he can turn fast lap times on the 250, but he is not really comfortable on the bike.  At that body weight, your strength and endurance are going to be limited on a bike with that much power.

Ideally you should look toward the possibility of having a 125 and a 250 as you grow.  I'm an old guy (over 50) and that's what I do.  I actually prefer to ride the 125 is most situations, as it is just more fun to ride than a 250.  

When you find yourself needing more power to jump farther or climb longer/steeper hills it's time for a change. It doesn't sound like that's the case here.

There is NO funner bike than a YZ125!

• Like 2