Sign in to follow this  

2007 RM 144

Bought this 2007 RM 125 about 4 years ago and rode it mainly stock, other than the addition of the FMF Fatty, Powercore II, and Vforce reeds. I ride at a fairly technical tight supercross style track and consider myself a top C or slow B rider (I pointed out in C and moved up to B where the competition is much greater).

I had lots of fun on this bike as a stock bore but was looking for a bit more. The bike seized on me last year which turned out to be the connecting rod at the crank locking up. Luckily nothing snapped and luckily it happened before a big double!

Tore the engine down. Replaced EVERY bearing and seal with OEM suzuki parts. Sent the crank out to Mr. Crankshaft who rebuilt the crank (always send my cranks to him). Sent the cases, cylinder, and head to Eric Gorr for the 144 kit. His work was exceptional. The cases etc came back looking brand new.

I went with the "mo-better" porting package and the pump gas head. I rebuilt the carb with a Moose kit and kept my jetting to FMF specs which are a 400 Main (stock is 370), 40 Pilot (stock is 42.5), air screw 1.5 turns out (stock is 2), and the stock needle and clip position (3rd from top).

I also sent my suspension to Factory Connection for a full re-valve. I needed a softer rear spring as well since I only weigh 140 lbs and I wasn't able to get the recommended sag out of the OEM spring. I also added a Pro Circuit linkage.

For cosmetics I had to go with the trimmed side plates and RMZ front fender and number plate. I send the trimmed panels to K-Rae Graphics and they custom fitted the graphics to the custom side plates. I trimmed them with a circular grinding disk. 

The front fender proved to be a bit of a challenge. The stock "ears" for the OEM number plate made contact with the RMZ fender. I had to trim the fender for those out. It was somewhat of a pain to line up the two holes for the new fender but I got it to work. I used an Acerbis fender and number plate. Holding up fine.

The bike runs awesome. VERY crisp, the jetting is SPOT on! Much more improved. Don't expect 250f like torque... it is still a two stroke and you have to ride it aggressively. The most beneficial part of this was the nice boost in the mid-range. It pulls hard. I tried some of my friend's race fuel mix and it ran even a bit better. 

I still think the 250f has a good advantage over this bike, at least at the tight track I ride at. Jumps are right out of corners with big gaps. You really have to be on your game to clear these sections. I have a 450 as well, so when I get tired and start to fall off my game, I hop on that =)

Bike is a keeper. Looks awesome, runs awesome, handles awesome, and last year of the U.S. Spec RM125. My club track I ride/race at just added a two stroke only class. I will definitely be running it there. As far as running it in the 250f class, it is a handful trying to keep up with the grunt they have out of corners to clear the big doubles and such. Gotta keep riding and improving!

securedownload_zps4f4b6dee.jpg

securedownload2_zps3fbea369.jpg

securedownload1_zps51f9c0d4.jpg

securedownload3_zps89ad8804.jpg

Edited by stavendirtbike
  • Like 1

Very nicely done! I'll have my 08 125 looking similar to yours. I'll keep it 125, though, always loved screaming the guts out of the tiny engine to clear stuff on the track.

Is there any way you could out some pics up of a close up on the trimmed plastic? That looks awesome, I would love to do it to mine but don't want to mess it up. What did you use to trim it and how much did you know to cut off??

Is there any way you could out some pics up of a close up on the trimmed plastic? That looks awesome, I would love to do it to mine but don't want to mess it up. What did you use to trim it and how much did you know to cut off??

Use electrical tape to mock up where you think looks best. Cover up the section you don't want and squint at it.