Sign in to follow this  

First XR200R

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and not too sure if this post goes here, but here's a little bit about me: I'm new to trail riding, but I've been riding a cbr 600 f3 for a few months and a smaller bike a few months before that. A friend of mine is moving to Florida and decided to sell me his 01 XR 200. I got it for $850 so I think that was a pretty good deal.  it needs an oil change, new fork seal, and a good cleaning, there's also a ping coming from the top end that he thinks is the exhaust valve so I'll see what I can do with that before i start working on the rest of the bike. So far I've just been looking around this forum and doing research on different mods to make the bike perform better and since I'm a 205lb rider I figured i'd start with the suspension. I found some forks and the triple from an 88 CR250 and I may be picking those up. I'm sure I'll have a question or two about the rear shock but I'll save that for another post.  :)

2014-05-08 14.11.39.jpg
2014-05-08 14.12.02.jpg
2014-05-08 14.11.42.jpg

highflying 23,

$850 with a few issues for 2001 XR200R, sounds about right. 

If you are going to bolt on the CR250R front end, you want to make sure you have the

corresponding rear shock to go with it. The 84-85 XR200R/XR250R have the same shock

that will give you the correct rear height, but the ideal rear shock would be the 86-91 rear

shock with that particular years linkage and both models are rebuildable. If you can find a

86-88 rear linkage that is ~ 2lbs lighter if lightness is something you are going for. 

The ticking you are hearing potentially could be the timing chain, that needs to be adjusted.

Welcome to the forum. 

Michael 

• Like 1

highflying 23,

$850 with a few issues for 2001 XR200R, sounds about right.

If you are going to bolt on the CR250R front end, you want to make sure you have the

corresponding rear shock to go with it. The 84-85 XR200R/XR250R have the same shock

that will give you the correct rear height, but the ideal rear shock would be the 86-91 rear

shock with that particular years linkage and both models are rebuildable. If you can find a

86-88 rear linkage that is ~ 2lbs lighter if lightness is something you are going for.

The ticking you are hearing potentially could be the timing chain, that needs to be adjusted.

Welcome to the forum.

Michael

Yeah I was trying to figure out which shock would work but so far the ones I've found were 160-200 and I'm waiting to see if I can find a cheaper one. I'll look into the timing chain after my manual arrives. I don't think weight is really an issue right now because I just want to start learning about dirt riding and dirt bikes in general. I'd eventually like to get a bigger bike and do some track riding, but that's a long way off. Thanks for the info.

An 86 to 91 XR200 shock in re-buildable condition for 160 to 200 is not a bad deal.  Most have worn out shock bodies and are useless.

• Like 1

Actually there is a shop in San Jose (Hlebo Bros) who works with an Anodizer  who can Hard Anodize the inside to bring them back into spec. 

But it is certainly better to have a shock body that is within spec and not have to go through the additional expense. 

Michael 

Actually there is a shop in San Jose (Hlebo Bros) who works with an Anodizer who can Hard Anodize the inside to bring them back into spec.

But it is certainly better to have a shock body that is within spec and not have to go through the additional expense.

Michael

An 86 to 91 XR200 shock in re-buildable condition for 160 to 200 is not a bad deal. Most have worn out shock bodies and are useless.

Thanks for all the replies. I found an earlier post that said over 100 was quite expensive for a rear shock, but that post was also from 2009 so more of these shocks may have been on Ebay at that time making them a little cheaper. I've found this shock and based on the info you guys have given me it seems like a good deal.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/? nav=item.view&id=131176598067&alt=web

I would wait to get a confirmation from Chuck before pulling the trigger on that one, as that is a 91 XR250R shock. 

I don't know that they are compatible ?

Michael 

Chuck knows pretty much everything there is to know about the XR200....as well as Old School Al and Geof. However, there are a few others on this forum who seem to know their stuff too.....but defer to those three for all XR200 questions. :thumbsup:

Chuck knows pretty much everything there is to know about the XR200....as well as Old School Al and Geof. However, there are a few others on this forum who seem to know their stuff too.....but defer to those three for all XR200 questions. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I just sent chuck a message, hopefully he'll be able to get back to me before the auction ends because I found another shock http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/? nav=item.view&id=271477172687&alt=web but I'm pretty sure that one won't work because of the position of the reservoir.

Chuck is our primary resource for all things XR200R. 

He knows just about everything there is to know about the 2 valve XR200R and has done alot of experimenting with a varity of suspension setups, full engine rebuilds, etc...

Follow his posts if you want to really get educated on the 2 valve XR200R, it's actually quite impressive. 

Michael

Edited by KTM520EXC

He let me know that both of the shocks I posted were too long and told me which ones would work. I just found an 85 250r shock that I'm going to jump on. Its $90 with free shipping. I'm glad I joined this forum because there's a lot of knowledgeable guys on here. Now I'm just waiting on the manual to arrive so I can finally get into this bike.