Sign in to follow this  

how to wheelie

already posted in the techniques section but thought it's a question that gets asked by noob riders a lot.

this covers slow wheelies, faster ones, corners, log hopping, covering the rear brake etc.

A lot of people think it is a dumb question when people ask how to wheelie but in my opinion, it is a very useful skill when it comes to technical terrain. Being able to get your front tire over an obstacle is a necessity.

already posted in the techniques section but thought it's a question that gets asked by noob riders a lot.

this covers slow wheelies, faster ones, corners, log hopping, covering the rear brake etc.

Great video.  Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

Here's another video that I found super helpful.  The instructor is actually on a mountain bike, but the skill transfers over very well IMHO.  I have been practicing to slow wheelie on a bicycle, and find it SO much easier to balance when I get back on my dirt bike.  I find this guy does well at explaining things.

I am of the mindset that if I can master the slow wheelie on a bicycle, then it should be a breeze on the dirt bike.  The bicycle is just SO light that it seems much less forgiving than the motorcycle.  It seems the extra mass of the dirt bike allows for more margin for error.   I have been riding for many years but have never learned to wheelie more than a few feet.  Well, at 40 I have become determined to master it...lol.  I just love that floaty feeling of almost weightlessness when the bike finally gets on the balance point....it's addictive and EXTREMELY fun... I have a tendency to chicken out and repeatedly stop just shy of the balance point when lifting the front...then I have to pedal my arse off to get it back up and inevitably accelerate too much, run out of leverage, and expend WAY too much energy...lol.  If you watch someone who's skilled it looks SO effortless...

As someone who trail rides I think it's a useful skill :thumbsup:  It also feels like a great lesson in self discipline and control as I learn to force myself not to panic when the bike gets back a bit too far.  I'm finding I have to cover the rear brake over, and over, and over again to train myself that nothing bad will happen so long as I'm quick acting on the brake.  It is VERY hard to avoid the natural tendency to bail or even freeze up...  It looks like this could be a very lengthy learning process.   I have gotten better though.  On a good run I can make it about 30' on the bicycle, and I pulled a 2nd gear wheelie for about 100' the other night on my dirt bike.....but can't yet consistently replicate it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSqkKtnMM_U&index=4&list=FLKaSz-C5XazM1gh3WUdw3CA

Edited by Fattonz