Sign in to follow this  

Engine noise after service

I brought my DRZ-S to the dealer for it's 600 mile break-in service (I'd already changed the oil/filter myself at 400 miles)

They said everything looked good, did their inspections, chain adjustment, etc (I guess)

But on the way home I noticed a kind of high pitched engine rattle that wasn't there before. I thought they must have adjusted something or maybe something was loose. I brought it back and was told everything looks good and the bike sounds normal. One of the service guys took it around the block too.

I just don't know what to make of the new sound. Absolutely wasn't there before they serviced it. Sounds like a raspy engine rattle, particularly apparent in 4th/5th. Any thoughts?

DK9 , Ask them to tell you exactly what they did , it might just be down to the oil type they used . I know mine sounds different with fresh oil , but it is usually quieter . They may have adjusted the valve train so it could be rattling a bit ( the valves close up as they settle in , so you have to open up the gap for correct clearance )  Just in case check your counter shaft sprocket , they can come loose , but larger 4 stroke motors do rattle a bit , greg

I brought my DRZ-S to the dealer for it's 600 mile break-in service (I'd already changed the oil/filter myself at 400 miles)

They said everything looked good, did their inspections, chain adjustment, etc (I guess)

But on the way home I noticed a kind of high pitched engine rattle that wasn't there before. I thought they must have adjusted something or maybe something was loose. I brought it back and was told everything looks good and the bike sounds normal. One of the service guys took it around the block too.

I just don't know what to make of the new sound. Absolutely wasn't there before they serviced it. Sounds like a raspy engine rattle, particularly apparent in 4th/5th. Any thoughts?

A 600 mile service, there's nothing they would have adjusted related to that, either the noise was already there and you didn't notice, would be my guess, the 600 mile service other than oil change is just basically checking bolts, and maybe the steering head, and chain.