Sign in to follow this  

Bead not popping

Hey guys this is my first time changing a tire (rear) and it all went successfully except when I filled it up with air I did not hear a pop noise for it sitting in the bead. It visually looks like it's sitting in the bead but should I be concerned I didn't hear a pop?

Hey guys this is my first time changing a tire (rear) and it all went successfully except when I filled it up with air I did not hear a pop noise for it sitting in the bead. It visually looks like it's sitting in the bead but should I be concerned I didn't hear a pop?

How much air did you put in it I normally have to put 35-40 psi before the bead will seat perfect. It doesn't always make a pop noise and sometimes I have to bounce the tire. 

• Like 2

I put 50 psi in and also bounced it. Still nothing...

Take a picture of both sides and post it. That would really help. :devil:

• Like 1

Sorry for the poor photos. It's on the triangle. I can get some of it on the center stand tomorrow

Sorry for the poor photos. It's on the triangle. I can get some of it on the center stand tomorrow attachicon.gif

Its hard to tell but if its not seated all the way you might try taking all the air out of the tube, and then spray some windex between the tire and rim. That way when you put 50psi in it there is some lube to help the bead slide on the rim. Also if it is only a small area get the old rubber mallet out and beat on it a little. 

Edited by usdualsports
  • Like 1

I give up for tonight! I'll try that tomorrow! Thanks!

I have had problems with beads not seating around the bead lock.  Just ride the bike around the block with everything loose then tighten it up.  Next time, lubricate the bead with dish soap or tire mounting lube and this wont happen.

• Like 1

When I started changing my own tires this would happen. I was scared to put in too much air, so I would lube it, pound it with a hammer, all kinds of tricks. Now I just keeping adding air till it pops out, and it always will. The tube will hold a lot of air, your not going to hurt anything by going well over 50 psi.

You wont hear it "pop", just run your finger around the bead till it all feels the same around the whole tire.

Edited by David C

I've had to use upwards of 80 psi to seat a bead before. You're not going to hurt anything. Let all the air out, squirt a couple drops of dawn dish soap on the problem area and fill it till it seats. Your first tire can be tough but it's only the first one

I keep a spray bottle with water and dish soap for tire mounting.

I never hear it pop, I usually put close to 60 in mine, and let it sit for a while, let the air out, and go up to around 40, and let it out down to 12-15.

• Like 1

Put some type of lube on the bead (I use Windex because it doesn't leave a mess). Hold the bead lock in when you start filling with air.

Go to your car parts store and get some tire mounting lube.  I use Ru-Glyde.  It's actually cheaper than Windex or dish soap at $12 for a gallon (which will last a lifetime if you're just doing dirt bike tires) and it makes tire changing so easy.  Lube it coming off lube it going on, you will only need your irons for the first and last pull of the bead.  It has other uses too as an o-ring lube that won't swell the o-ring, tire cleaner, whatever you want.

Edited by 1987CR250R

Hey, new theroy. I bet you pinched a tube. Happened to me on my first tire change, it held enough air for me to see that it was filled but it leaked enough for the bead not to seat. Spray soapy water or windex everywhere, meaning all around the bead and the spokes. look for bubbles. If you see bubbles while you're filling it with air, you've pinched the tube.

Helps if you use an air compresser, too. The convenience stores round here have free air for your tires, thats what I use vs my little electric pump in my truck. A compresser Brings the tire right up to 50 PSI, bead seats, drop it back down to 13 PSI. There you go.

Hey, new theroy. I bet you pinched a tube. Happened to me on my first tire change, it held enough air for me to see that it was filled but it leaked enough for the bead not to seat. Spray soapy water or windex everywhere, meaning all around the bead and the spokes. look for bubbles. If you see bubbles while you're filling it with air, you've pinched the tube.

Helps if you use an air compresser, too. The convenience stores round here have free air for your tires, thats what I use vs my little electric pump in my truck. A compresser Brings the tire right up to 50 PSI, bead seats, drop it back down to 13 PSI. There you go.

Well I did it last night and put it at 15psi and I checked it this morning and it was still at 15psi so I don't think I pinched the tube.

Well I did it last night and put it at 15psi and I checked it this morning and it was still at 15psi so I don't think I pinched the tube.

Okay, so we can rule that out. For me, its loooots of soapy water or windex, and lots of air. Via compressor. Its worth it to go to a local gas station to drop the $2 in quarters it might take to get the bead seated.

i never hear the bead "pop" when seating. just inspect visually and see if it's seated or not. if not do like others have said, deflate it, lube the trouble area and re-inflate. i'll frequently go up to 70+ lbs to get it to seat. once you get it up there you can watch it visually creep into place.