Sign in to follow this  

Washington Devils Gulch

Has anyone been over there yet this year? Just wondering if any of it is rideable yet?

Wanna go find out on sunday?

I'm down to go too and can bring a saw. Stage at Sand Creek?

Did 40 miles there...7 hrs.  Bring a pack saw.  We went under or over 25+ logs.  Creek crossings on DG are pretty gnarly too with fast muddy run-off and steep undercut banks.

Result - one shroud graphic gone from a perfectly placed branch on a buddies bike, 1 swamped bike with a 45 minute break to drain the water and my new bike, a ripped fuel line resulting in some macgyvering fixing after dragging it under trees and a few tears in the seat, a bike retrieval 20' down a muddy hill...and damn tasty beer at then end of the ride.

Staged at Sand Creek.  Mission trail to intersection and back on Devils Gulch.  We played around on Red Hill as a warm-up.  Those trails are good.

Edited by MX813
  • Like 2

Why even bother riding mountain trails early in the season with no saw? With all the time and effort to go under and around everything you could have easily cut the trail out. I'm really just curious. No saw, hate your bike, someone else can do it, in need of back injuries?

• Like 1

Why even bother riding mountain trails early in the season with no saw? With all the time and effort to go under and around everything you could have easily cut the trail out. I'm really just curious. No saw, hate your bike, someone else can do it, in need of back injuries?

because they are the STUMPJUMPERS!   Gosh!  :D

Edited by Slackkinhard
  • Like 1

Oh... it all makes sense now. I spent 3 days at foggy dew last year cleaning up after those boys.

I debated on mounting the saw but another friend said he got 45-50 miles in....what he forgot to add was a lot of it was FS roads and that he back-tracked on both Mission and Devils Gulch.  Kinda of an important detail.  It wasn't all that bad and my new bike needed a proper break in...the right way so now I know what the weaknesses are.

Do explain 3 days of cleaning up at Foggy Dew...I'd like to know more.

After a large group of SJMC dudes went through there with no saw last year it looked as though a hare scramble had been ridden through the area. Axle deep ruts around blow downs, huge bypassed sections next to hiker only trail junctions, it was terrible. The trail maintenance budget is almost non-existent for the forest service these days. So we are pretty much on our own if we want to keep this stuff.

Linky: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1033657-foggy-dew/page-3

After a large group of SJMC dudes went through there with no saw last year it looked as though a hare scramble had been ridden through the area. Axle deep ruts around blow downs, huge bypassed sections next to hiker only trail junctions, it was terrible. The trail maintenance budget is almost non-existent for the forest service these days. So we are pretty much on our own if we want to keep this stuff.

Linky: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1033657-foggy-dew/page-3

Understandable and I remember your post doing some work...

But my concern is blaming the damage of what you saw entirely upon SJMC members. For every 1 person on-line here, there are 3-4 more riders out there that go up to Foggy Dew...and say "What is thumpertalk?"

Come 15JUNE, I'll be logging out Table Mtn...that area is going to need it for next several years with all the dead trees coming down each winter still standing after the fire.

• Like 2

Coulee riders will be having a work party at Foggy Dew on The weekend of June 21st. Anyone is welcome. We may even be doing a little blasting with the FS.

• Like 4

knightsofnee and I brought a saw and cleared a &%$#@!load of trees on Devil's Gulch. We made it almost all the way from the trailhead to the intersection with Mission Ridge before calling it quits. Also blocked off some of the enticing hill climb go-arounds people had made to discourage anyone else from trying them. Right now the biggest issue are the 2 stream crossings that are washed out or almost washed out. Need to get some trail maint people out there to fix it. We managed to huck and lift the bikes through those spots. I saw a ton of trash out there on that trail and I'm 90% sure it's mountain bikers who left it. Kind of irks me, I almost never see trash left out like that from dirtbikers. 5 hour energy bottles, empty watter bottles, and energy bar wrappers all over.

• Like 5

knightsofnee and I brought a saw and cleared a &%$#@!load of trees on Devil's Gulch. We made it almost all the way from the trailhead to the intersection with Mission Ridge before calling it quits. Also blocked off some of the enticing hill climb go-arounds people had made to discourage anyone else from trying them. Right now the biggest issue are the 2 stream crossings that are washed out or almost washed out. Need to get some trail maint people out there to fix it. We managed to huck and lift the bikes through those spots. I saw a ton of trash out there on that trail and I'm 90% sure it's mountain bikers who left it. Kind of irks me, I almost never see trash left out like that from dirtbikers. 5 hour energy bottles, empty watter bottles, and energy bar wrappers all over.

thanks for clearing and trash duty and the report. :thumbsup:

never see those guys packing a saw either :prof:

• Like 1

Stage at Sand Creek?

Cant imagine trying to ride up the washed out wall on one of the creek crossings.

So Mission still needs to be cut out?

Stage at Sand Creek?

Cant imagine trying to ride up the washed out wall on one of the creek crossings.

So Mission still needs to be cut out?

As of Friday evening, there was a big tree across 8 miles up from the bottom on Mission. It was on a slope, didn't look like anyone had attempted to go around. 

We got to the first creek crossing on the Gulch trail and turned around. Looked like too much work to go past that point! Doable, Someone put logs down across the creek there. That looked to make it more difficult than if they weren't there at all.

As of Friday evening, there was a big tree across 8 miles up from the bottom on Mission. It was on a slope, didn't look like anyone had attempted to go around. 

We got to the first creek crossing on the Gulch trail and turned around. Looked like too much work to go past that point! Doable, Someone put logs down across the creek there. That looked to make it more difficult than if they weren't there at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EYIRxA-oPs

• Like 4

Nice video Knights. We had heard we weren't getting through to the top, and didn't want to cross that twice.

Thanks for clearing trail!