Bike moves on it's own?!

What does it mean if my dirtbike moves on it's own in gear with the clutch let all the way out and I'm not giving it any throttle (kx250f) had the same problem with the last motor before it blew up and changed motor and it still does it thinking it could be clutch cable related or idle setting related I'm not sure

Yz125

Kx250f

One of my bikes moves with a gear engaged with the clutch out with no gas. Nothing to worry about. My bike has had no problems. But I wouldn't do it a lot though because it puts the engine under a lot of stress. I wouldn't worry about it.  

If it is in gear and your not holding down the clutch lever the bike should stall.  Unless you have Rekluse or the idle is set really high.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.  If your saying it moves when the clutch lever is held down then a simple cable adjustment should fix that.

Ok it's if I'm riding the bike and I let off the gas and the bike slows down and should stall just like any other bike would but it will slow down then roll forward on it's own in gear I can't really tell if the idle is set too high I would assume it would be noticeable by the sound of the exhaust and rpms. If it was set high it would sound like the choke was pulled out is what I'm "assuming" but it doesn't it has a pretty clean sounding idle. But I'm getting the carb cleaned and jetted this weekend I guess I could ask them to check the idle and maybe the fuel to air screw not sure if that could have an affect on it..

Yz125

Kx250f

On a side note the bike runs fine besides that and it doesn't really bother me it kinda helps my riding style I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem

If you wanna call it that.

Yz125

Kx250f

Clutch cable is a little too tight or needs new discs.

I thought this thread was going to be another "Bike moves on it's own in gear with clutch IN" thread. 

I would say it's pretty normal..... Is it geared really low?   Idle set a tad high maybe?

Edited by Fattonz

Ok it's if I'm riding the bike and I let off the gas and the bike slows down and should stall just like any other bike would but it will slow down then roll forward on it's own in gear I can't really tell if the idle is set too high I would assume it would be noticeable by the sound of the exhaust and rpms. If it was set high it would sound like the choke was pulled out is what I'm "assuming" but it doesn't it has a pretty clean sounding idle. But I'm getting the carb cleaned and jetted this weekend I guess I could ask them to check the idle and maybe the fuel to air screw not sure if that could have an affect on it..

Yz125

Kx250f

Why do you think it's a problem that your engine will idle instead of dying?

The gearing is stock but it likes to move own it's own in first and second doesn't do it in 3rd 4th or 5th it will stall I'm gonna mess with the cable and turn the idle down maybe a quarter turn and see where I'm at.

Yz125

Kx250f

Why do you think it's a problem that your engine will idle instead of dying?

Not saying it's necessarily a problem it's just something I've noticed and was wondering others inputs simple Q and A nothing crazy

Yz125

Kx250f

A thicker oil can cause higher friction on the clutch plates and play a role in your issue but it's likely a cable adjustment

Guys, you are misunderstanding him. He's simply saying that when he's riding, if he's in first or second gear and lets off the gas, the engine will still pull the bike without stalling.

It's called an idle, and all engines should do it. Yours may be a tad high, but it still should idle. 

• Like 2

Guys, you are misunderstanding him. He's simply saying that when he's riding, if he's in first or second gear and lets off the gas, the engine will still pull the bike without stalling.

It's called an idle, and all engines should do it. Yours may be a tad high, but it still should idle.

Yea that's exactly what it's doing lol

Yz125

Kx250f

Hey bud.  I just went thru 2 clutches in 3 rides. I'd say its definately clutch...  Check the  torque on the basket,  its gotta be perfect nueton meters...  Also theres a washer (looks like any cheap washer from lowes, hardware store etc...  It acts like a throw out bearing.  If u lost it which i have before and installed clutch without this basic washer it'll change it all up, not letting the clutch fully disengage causing some clutch slip.  Does the clutch slip at all, especially when hot???  I'd start from scratch.  drain oil, remove clutch basket.  Make sure all parts are their (including the washer).  tighten to spec and i think you will be fine

Sounds like more than a cable prob. to me...  Bike runs fine tho right?  I installed clutch basket without that washer ( it was stuck to the bottom of my magnetic parts trey)  I had a slipper for sure, the washer should have """" outside""" engraved on it...  I couldn't get my bike to stall without that washer/spacer,  it would have just kept on rolling too

I had a similar problem with my 09 last season.  If i were waiting for a buddy or what not in the parking messing around lot and was in 1st, let off the gas , no clutch after its initial engine braking it would continue to move on its own (not slow down but actually like pull if that makes sense.) adjusting my clutch cable fixed it for me, but may not be the same issue you're having..

best of luck!

I still don't understand the problem.  If the motor is running and the bike is in gear and the clutch is engaged it will roll forward under the power of the motor.  

I still don't understand the problem.  If the motor is running and the bike is in gear and the clutch is engaged it will roll forward under the power of the motor.  

i think he means with the clutch not engaged..