Sign in to follow this  

Piston choice.

So I'm gonna be replacing my piston soon and wanted your guys feedback on this.

Cosworth

Or Je

Or oem

I know the trx piston will use less oil but I'm not real concerned with a bit of oil loss.

Help me make a choice.

Edited by StonedInNy

Yea I'm sorta leaning towards oem. I have a trip next weekend so the tear down will begin after I get back.

Those cosworth pistons with the coating on the skirts makes me wonder if they work better than oem. I remember my trx pistons always having skirt wear and was thinking that would help.

Edited by StonedInNy

We use OEM in everyday engines and JE in the race engines.

We were involved with testing the Cosworths back in the day. They make sick power, but will burn a dipstick of oil in less than 80 miles. They are designed for 20 minute motos, not for all day riding.

I have the TRX piston. No, zero, nada oil use between changes. I change it every 25 hours/600 miles of hard riding.

Thanks guys. I'll be getting a OEM. When I do the switch I'll report the specs on a 150 hour old piston.

Just dropped a JE in and very impressed with the quality. It is a TRX piston and the weight was only slightly heavier than the the OEM CRFX.

Went down to my local honda dealer today to Order up my parts.

Piston

Rings

Pin

2 clips

Gasket kit A

And new cam chain $202. Didn't think that was a bad price for all that

Went down to my local honda dealer today to Order up my parts.

Piston

Rings

Pin

2 clips

Gasket kit A

And new cam chain $202. Didn't think that was a bad price for all that

And to think,  the 2 stroke fanatics say 4 strokes are money pits   ---- I would have done a top end on my YZ 250's 5 times in 150 hours a few years back

• Like 1

None. CP piston, and give your self a bit more power with a little more compression. 

I have heard good things about CP too, they are also part of the Carrillo (rods) family of products

• Like 1

So after $202 dollars in parts and 20 hours of my time (scrubbing parts and bolts) I finished my piston and cam chain install.

The piston after 150 hard hours not race hours but I'm not shy of the limiter. Measured 95.9 , just out of spec. The install was easy but not as easy as my trx top end was. And all the dam aftermarket stuff I have installed was in the way. And had to be moved or uninstalled Lol

Took it on a few break in rides totaling about 100 miles. It's running great and I think I'm ready to switch to the synthetic oil I use normally.

You guys think I should wait a bit on the synthetic or do ya think it's done seating the rings.

Thanks Doc I was thinking the same thing. I had a few friends tell me to wait more