Sign in to follow this  

1996 kx 126 sprocket ratio

I have a 1996 KX125 and was wondering what sprocket ratio would be good for woods and hare scramble riding.

Edited by Michael.S

I have a 1996 KX125 and was wondering what sprocket ratio would be good for woods and hare scramble riding.

Running 12/53 on my son's 1994 kx-125 as well as on my other son's 1999 cr-125.  Went from 13/50.  HUGE improvement for woods riding.  WAY less clutch modulation.  Also, believe it or not, the 125 will actually tractor along in the low revs over technical stuff.  The bikes aren't much for top end anymore but the gearing let's you ride the 125 like a bigger bike...  HIGHLY recommend :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thankyou that will be a lot of help to me. What kind of fuel : oil ratio are you running. I am currently running 20:1.

Edited by Michael.S

Running 12/53 on my son's 1994 kx-125 as well as on my other son's 1999 cr-125. Went from 13/50. HUGE improvement for woods riding. WAY less clutch modulation. Also, believe it or not, the 125 will actually tractor along in the low revs over technical stuff. The bikes aren't much for top end anymore but the gearing let's you ride the 125 like a bigger bike... HIGHLY recommend :thumbsup:

Thankyou that will be a lot of help to me. What kind of fuel : oil ratio are you running. I am currently running 20:1.

I run interceptor @ 32:1 in the 125's and Motul @ 50:1 in my KTM.   Be careful with your jetting.  Your bike will be pretty lean with that much oil in there...

Oh and for what it's worth I also geared down my KTM 300 two stroke from 13/49 to 13/52.  Huge Improvement there too.  The bike has a wide ratio tranny and felt very gappy between 2nd and 3rd gear and even gappier between 4th and 5th.  The new gearing not only turned the already very powerful bike into a wheelying tractor, but also completely eliminated the 2nd to 3rd gear gappy feel and reduced the gap between 4th and 5th....don't mind the 4th to 5th though because 5th is basically just a cruising gear between riding areas.  None of that really pertains to your close ratio bike, but just saying I LOVE the lower gearing :thumbsup: Recommend it a hundred times over...  But I can only speak for trails, hill climbs, etc... because I don't race...

Edited by Fattonz

I run interceptor @ 32:1 in the 125's and Motul @ 50:1 in my KTM. Be careful with your jetting. Your bike will be pretty lean with that much oil in there...

Oh and for what it's worth I also geared down my KTM 300 two stroke from 13/49 to 13/52. Huge Improvement there too. The bike has a wide ratio tranny and felt very gappy between 2nd and 3rd gear and even gappier between 4th and 5th. The new gearing not only turned the already very powerful bike into a wheelying tractor, but also completely eliminated the 2nd to 3rd gear gappy feel and reduced the gap between 4th and 5th....don't mind the 4th to 5th though because 5th is basically just a cruising gear between riding areas. None of that really pertains to your close ratio bike, but just saying I LOVE the lower gearing :thumbsup: Recommend it a hundred times over... But I can only speak for trails, hill climbs, etc... because I don't race...

Where did you by your sprockets from?

Where did you by your sprockets from?

The cr was a recent purchase and restore and the bike came with a brand new 53T rear sprocket.  The chain and front sprocket I purchased from Motosport.com

For the kx and KTM I purchased locally...