Sign in to follow this  

Later-model swingarm on 87 XL600?

Hey y'all, I just picked my bike up a couple weeks ago, definitely a project!!  Will be posting some pics soon.  What are the chances of a later-model swingarm (from 89 or later years, with rear disc brake) fitting on my 87 frame without modification?  I know I'd have to mount the reservoir and run brake lines, etc but I'm just throwing this out there.  My plan is in a year or so, making it a motard.  

I did it to my '84. I used a 2007 XR650L swingarm--it's a bolt-in. A '91 up XR600 should work as well. You can use your stock shock and linkage but you'll need to come up with a spacer to make up the difference in width where the linkage bolts to the swingarm if I recall correctly. I had to weld a bracket on the frame to mount the master cylinder and later XRL brake lever as well.

oldskool2stroke, on 08 May 2014 - 6:12 PM, said:

What are the chances of a later-model swingarm (from 89 or later years, with rear disc brake) fitting on my 87 frame without modification?  I know I'd have to mount the reservoir and run brake lines, etc  

Pretty much answered your own question. The swingarm "fits" with no mods but requires what zrxer stated to function.