Sign in to follow this  

90 kdx 200 Rebuild

1399600665997.jpg

Just had this dropped off at my house from my cousin. He was threatening to throw her in the dump! I quickly jumped at the chance knowing how good those old kdx's can be!

After. Talking with him for a bit it sounds like he rode it for a long time. Has a new fmf exhaust and front tire, bark busters, skid plate, recent chain and sprockets and non leaky susension that feels decent.

Not bad for free though! Has a box of parts with it I still need to go through

Awesome, they are fun bikes ad you can't go wrong with free

Current ride: 1986 TRX250R with lots of mods.

Have owned: 1981 ATC250R with lots of mods, 1983 200X, 1986 250SX, 1991 KDX200

I see you got a girly blue on white version. They are a little rare, rare because they were made for girls. They still rip though.

A bike in that condition, even if it was missing the back fender could easily fetch $900-$1K. 

Looks good, good luck. Hit up kdxrider.net they will have lots of pointers for you ;)

They are very easy to modify too

Current ride: 1986 TRX250R with lots of mods.

Have owned: 1981 ATC250R with lots of mods, 1983 200X, 1986 250SX, 1991 KDX200

I see you got a girly blue on white version. They are a little rare, rare because they were made for girls. They still rip though.

A bike in that condition, even if it was missing the back fender could easily fetch $900-$1K. 

Looks good, good luck. Hit up kdxrider.net they will have lots of pointers for you ;)

Don't hate.  :)  They were not made for girls.

• Like 1

:lol:  :lol:  Just a little theory...There's so much love for those on kdxrider. I'd still ride one but I think the reason you see so few of them because they were put on the market in hopes they would appeal to the few female riders.

I didn't mention in the first post that he had a engine failure and that is why its been sitting for so long. He was halfway through teardown and got a new bike. We were drinking beers by the fire telling old riding stories and he started telling us bout the ol kdx and how he was never gonna fix it and just wants to throw it away. I couldn't let that happen!

The engine spins over smoothly but the head isn't bolted on tight so ther is no compression. Im right in the middle of rebuilding my 95 wr250 so this one will be put away for a bit while I do some research and some riding

I was stoked that it was white, I thought they were all green. Looking up finding a headlight and proper tail light. I plan on a full frame up rebuild back to stock. Still gotta go through all the boxes of parts!

• Like 1

red was an option in 1984

white was an option in 1988, 1990 and 1991

Gotuanubike, euro bikes were often white in the 80's, so maybe they too a cue from there?  It was different.

Went through the boxes of parts, found a new oem light bulb and the stock odometer and cable. Went ahead and bolted up all the plastics

1399774332015.jpg

1399774380955.jpg

1399774416494.jpg

Acerbis hand guards, sprockets and chain in great shape and fmf turbinecore muffler with fmf fatty pipe. Needs new chain sliders pretty bad. Found the piston in a box so the engine is in pieces. I will probably disassemble the bottom end and do the crank bearings, that or just inspect the bottom end and jug, hone and throw a new piston in and run it

• Like 2

Good to know, re sleeve or re coating is the only way if the bore is damaged or worn then?

Good to know, re sleeve or re coating is the only way if the bore is damaged or worn then?

Yes. And since Kawasaki's Electrofusion (they don't use Nicasil) coating is crap, it will come back much better than new.

But if the bore isn't damaged, and it measures in spec, you can clean the bore with a green Scotch-Brite pad and some ATF. Then wash it with warm soapy water and rinse it. Wipe it dry with a WHITE paper towel. If the paper towel doesn't stay white, clean it again.

If the cross-hatch isn't clearly visible after a good cleaning, it needs replating.

Ill post back up when I remove the jug and inspect. From the looks of the piston it overheated and seized. My cuz said it locked up and he thought it was crank, but opened it up and the crank spun fine.

Going to get a new top end kit after I check the crank tolerances. If all measures in spec ill probably just throw the new top end at it and see how she goes!