Sign in to follow this  

Why I love my DRZ!

While my DRZ was in the shop getting my wheel trued, I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow bikes from my buddy with a large collection of bikes.  I got to do my commute with an MV Agusta Brutale 910r and a Ducati 1198S.  Both of these are absolute dream bikes for me, and were a blast to ride.  The funny thing is that all I could think about while riding them was how I would rather be riding my dizzer.  Both exotic bikes were scary fast, both could take a sweeping turn at absurd velocities, and both made beautiful noises.  However, they were a lot of work to ride safely.  Potholes were terrifying, gentle take offs in heavy traffic were difficult, and don't get me started about my ride in heavy rain this morning.  

Ultimately, my DRZ is just more fun.  Pothole ahead? Ride right into it!  Heavy traffic?  Slice and dice through it like they are standing still.  Rain?  No worries, the power is tractable enough to be sure the rear wont end up in front of you.  Every day when I have to head to work or back home on my DRZ I've got a huge smile because I know its going to be a fun half an hour.  

Last but not least I love that my back and knees aren't screaming at me for hours after getting of my bike!

• Like 5

While my DRZ was in the shop getting my wheel trued, I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow bikes from my buddy with a large collection of bikes.  I got to do my commute with an MV Agusta Brutale 910r and a Ducati 1198S.  Both of these are absolute dream bikes for me, and were a blast to ride.  The funny thing is that all I could think about while riding them was how I would rather be riding my dizzer.  Both exotic bikes were scary fast, both could take a sweeping turn at absurd velocities, and both made beautiful noises.  However, they were a lot of work to ride safely.  Potholes were terrifying, gentle take offs in heavy traffic were difficult, and don't get me started about my ride in heavy rain this morning.  

Ultimately, my DRZ is just more fun.  Pothole ahead? Ride right into it!  Heavy traffic?  Slice and dice through it like they are standing still.  Rain?  No worries, the power is tractable enough to be sure the rear wont end up in front of you.  Every day when I have to head to work or back home on my DRZ I've got a huge smile because I know its going to be a fun half an hour.  

Last but not least I love that my back and knees aren't screaming at me for hours after getting of my bike!

yes, yes ,yes.......but what does your ass have to say about the seat?. probably the only thing i truly hated about my bike before i fixed the problem was the plywood seat

yes, yes ,yes.......but what does your ass have to say about the seat?. probably the only thing i truly hated about my bike before i fixed the problem was the plywood seat

agreed. but what did you do to fix the seat problem?

Edited by ripping r

agreed. but what did you do to fix the seat problem?

went with the seat concepts seat kit. made a big difference. i used to be able to 100 miles at a time with 2-3 break here and there to get the feeling back in my ass. i can do 250+ and only stop for gas and be just fine. not going to say its the most comfy seat out there but 100x better then the stock seat.  the new seat made me love my bike even more because i didn't dread going for a long ride. i have had it for almost 3 years and almost 10K miles, still great

• Like 1

went with the seat concepts seat kit. made a big difference. i used to be able to 100 miles at a time with 2-3 break here and there to get the feeling back in my ass. i can do 250+ and only stop for gas and be just fine. not going to say its the most comfy seat out there but 100x better then the stock seat.  the new seat made me love my bike even more because i didn't dread going for a long ride. i have had it for almost 3 years and almost 10K miles, still great

that's what I need. I think a board would be better than the stocker.  

• Like 2

Nice,  i just got one too.

• Like 2

That's right , it's not the Absolute best . BUT it makes you forget about the Butt pain and focus on the Riding .

• Like 1

Sure, all that plus your wallet stays a lot thicker!

My other bike is a 2007 GSX-R 750 with PC 3, GP/TRE, Akra carbon slip on, BMC filter. Ride it to work once a week or every other week but the thing is so stupid fast it is way too easy to get into serious trouble without a lot of throttle discipline. Max speed on my inner city commute is 40 mph, I could ride Gixxer to work without ever shifting out of first gear. Dr. Zed of the SM style on the other hand can be ridden at full throttle in at least a couple of gears and can take traffic induced shortcuts on sidewalks, alleys, across city parks, bike paths etc. It is also nice to be higher up in traffic so I can see over the cars for potential problems. Gas mileage is much better and the riding position is a lot more comfy. Weekends on the mountain=Gixxer, commute M/F in town=DRZ.