Sign in to follow this  

XR600R flat track build:

What was at one point a piece of crap....I transformed into a wicked Scott Summers replica. It was rebuilt from the ground up. But of course becoming bored since I had too many dirt bikes, I transformed it into a TT/Supermoto beast. 

Features: 

Ohlins front forks lowered 3.5" and revalved. 

Rear Shock lowered 3.5"

Megacycle cam

Acerbis front number plate. 

Trimmed rear fender. 

19" rims with Maxxis rubber. 

Warp 9 Racing 320mm front rotor and bracket.

Powder Coated frame. 

Wide pegs. 

Trail Tech ATV Med High fat bars. 

CRFX adjustable clutch lever

Folding aluminum shifter

And lots of other stuff as you can see...

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_20120901_182520.jpg

10320452_10152125805509150_4901052965716

10320520_10152125805589150_5532700818101

10322825_10152129622464150_6958495814108

1002684_10152125805429150_67767917650132

10247500_10152125805654150_8870160270376

• Like 2

That's cool! I like it what maxxis tires are those do they work in the dirt ? I have a wr that I bought as a sumo and have thought of doing it old superbikers style 19's and dirt track tires but I'm not sure how the tires would work out I like to get in the dirt and 17's and sport bike tires arnt getting it

Those are Maxxis DTR1 flat track specific tires. They are very expensive. $180 per tire! They are the only ones that really fit on 19" rims, very flexible and grippy which is good and bad. Good because they do grip really well on most dirt, as long as it's not loose and dirt. They are also very flexible and absorb bumps really well.  But bad because they likely won't last too long. If I was to do this again I would go with 17" supermoto sized rims. The tires are cheaper in 17" and there are more patterns you can buy. I recently found out that 17" rims with rain tires are the hot ticket for oiled flat track racing. You will be amazed at how well these bikes/supermotos do in the dirt!

• Like 1

Those are Maxxis DTR1 flat track specific tires. They are very expensive. $180 per tire! They are the only ones that really fit on 19" rims, very flexible and grippy which is good and bad. Good because they do grip really well on most dirt, as long as it's not loose and dirt. They are also very flexible and absorb bumps really well.  But bad because they likely won't last too long. If I was to do this again I would go with 17" supermoto sized rims. The tires are cheaper in 17" and there are more patterns you can buy. I recently found out that 17" rims with rain tires are the hot ticket for oiled flat track racing. You will be amazed at how well these bikes/supermotos do in the dirt!

JMO but I think long suspension bikes look goofy with 17" wheels. Before you holler I have a motard now with 17" and have owned 3.

18's at least. 19" look best, but I'll take your word on the tires.

Looks cool!  Im not a fan of the front number plate in the front right view but looks great in all the other views.

SM rain tires aren't cheap either fyi :)  on sale the dunlops are about 350 for a set.  so about the same price as your TT tires.  Are you going to race it? 

Before "rain tires" were popular, roadracers used Pirelli MT60's when racing in the rain. They are a little cheaper than the super sticky rains and work well. Or Avon Distanzias are another option. 

I'll eventually race it. But it's more of a play bike right now. I have an all grass/dirt flat track on some property I own. Typically I race smaller bikes on the track but I could take this out and play around as well. 

• Like 1

Before "rain tires" were popular, roadracers used Pirelli MT60's when racing in the rain. They are a little cheaper than the super sticky rains and work well. Or Avon Distanzias are another option. 

I'll eventually race it. But it's more of a play bike right now. I have an all grass/dirt flat track on some property I own. Typically I race smaller bikes on the track but I could take this out and play around as well. 

thats a lot of bling for a play bike:) 

pretty much   all  FT  bikes  are now running  19”..   at  least  her win SoCal  with  SCFTA  ...   you  might not  get  a  19  to fit on a modern sm  bike,  without  lengthening  the  swing  arm.   it’s  a  great  looking piece.  

I tried 17" rain tires on my supermoto. They worked great in the dirt however they didn't last long and didn't work as well as street tires in the street. Reminds me of dual sport bike tires you get either better street or dirt not both. You can't win both.

• Like 1

pretty much   all  FT  bikes  are now running  19”..   at  least  her win SoCal  with  SCFTA  ...   you  might not  get  a  19  to fit on a modern sm  bike,  without  lengthening  the  swing  arm.   it’s  a  great  looking piece.  

Huh? How could a 19" rim not fit a MX or SM bike as you call them? What do you think the Pro Singles AMA Flat Track bikes use? They all run 19" rims. So they have no problem fitting them on stock mx/sm bikes without modding swingarm or forks. 

I tried 17" rain tires on my supermoto. They worked great in the dirt however they didn't last long and didn't work as well as street tires in the street. Reminds me of dual sport bike tires you get either better street or dirt not both. You can't win both.

Yeah you definitely don't want to run 17" rains, or 19" dirt track specific tires on the street. They are super sticky and too expensive to use that way. However it's not as much of a compromise as you would think. Thus, my mention of the Pirelli MT60s or Avon Distanzias. I used to run Distanzias on my Husky 610SM, ATK 605 supermoto and Duke II supermoto on the street and they were amazing for canyon carving. With SM bikes being so lightweight, anything short of a knobby tire is going to stick like glue. So for the best compromise of dirt/street go with the MT60 or Distanzia. 

Yeah you definitely don't want to run 17" rains, or 19" dirt track specific tires on the street. They are super sticky and too expensive to use that way. However it's not as much of a compromise as you would think. Thus, my mention of the Pirelli MT60s or Avon Distanzias. I used to run Distanzias on my Husky 610SM, ATK 605 supermoto and Duke II supermoto on the street and they were amazing for canyon carving. With SM bikes being so lightweight, anything short of a knobby tire is going to stick like glue. So for the best compromise of dirt/street go with the MT60 or Distanzia. 

Tried all the tires mentioned in 17". IMO they sucked compared to sticky street only tires on the street or track. Rider for rider pushed hard the street tire rider will disappear the other tires are too vague and squirm.

However if dirt or rain is what your riding it will be the other way around.

i  was  referring  to  a  husky  specificly.  motard  came  with  a  shorter  swing arm  then  the  TC  or  TE  models.     

i  was  referring  to  a  husky  specificly.  motard  came  with  a  shorter  swing arm  then  the  TC  or  TE  models.     

I've owned a few Huskys: 2008 TC250 and 2007 610SM. I never tried to fit 19" rims on the SM, no need to when it came with 17" wheels. And anyone that builds a Pro Singles type flat track bike won't bother buying a "SM" specific bike to turn into a flat tracker anyways. They'll simply buy a MX bike, lace the rear 19" rim to the front (it's too narrow to be used on the rear with flat track rubber, at least properly) and lace a wider 19" to the rear hub. No that anyone even uses Huskys for flat track racing anyways. I've never seen one, other than my TC250, but I used the stock rims with flat track rubber on them for a few supermoto races. 

Edited by mikesbaron
  • Like 1

there  are  several that  are  running  in  so cal.   

That's what I'd go for...

xr_600_crd_6_detalle-M.jpg

images-4.jpeg

Edited by FIVEWIDE

Haha cafe it out huh? And become a wanna be hipster? I've owned and already own a cafe racebike. Trust me nothing cooler or funner than a flat track bike.