Sign in to follow this  

Issues with new(to friend) 250x

Hey guys my buddy recently got a 250x he loves bike but is having issues. First off we went to adjust idle and the wire came out of the screw so it does not even idle now. He has ordered the part but was riding with bad idle. Bike was doing fine but now after you ride for around 10- 15 mins it dies like a big bog down and dies. Is this just an idle issue or something else. Bike is an 04 i believe. Thanks

check your oil....is one side overfull, and the other empty?   Does it seem hot when it dies?

I will get him to check. Just some info on how to check oil because i have a 200xc so not used to separate oils levels. I am pretty mechanical but never had a four stroke so any tips appreciated. When i was ridding it and it happened bike didnt seem to be hot but i will try to check

the honda's have a separate oil chamber for the engine and transmission.  There are seals between the two..when the seals fail, oil migrates one way or the other. If you lose a seal and the oil transfers from the engine to the transmission, you will have an overfilled transmission side, and most likely a shot motor.  The valvetrain will suffer first...but your topend will get hot, swell, and stall.  It may cool down and restart later, only to suffer the same fate. If this is what is happening, you're damaging it everytime you kick it over.  That's why I said 'check the oil'

Need more info....does it re-start right away?  is it always 10-15 minutes, running fine otherwise, etc.

One thing that comes to mind is a partially plugged fuel vent on the tank or a gas line that may be collapsing.   I'd also check that all the vent lines for the carb are open and not plugged with dirt (and they are slit on the end for that reason - so they don't plug up).

Jim.

• Like 1

Alright thanks you guys. As this is my friends bike and not mine i will pass along the info and try to have a look myself. If the oil seal is bad what are the damages. And cost of repair

The seals are cheap (something like $10) and they can be installed without splitting the cases.

It does however require some special tools.   If it's the right crank side, then you need to be able to hold the clutch basket.  Proper way is with a clutch holder tool.  You can use a soft crush washer between the gears to hold it however.   An impact gun is nice to get the nut off.

If it's the balancer seal, you'll need a fly wheel puller as I don't believe you can get it out without removing the flywheel first.

Jim.