Sign in to follow this  

Bell helmet !

Which model?

Only thing I would recommend is trying one on before you buy it.  It becomes a pain in the arse returning things like helmets bought online. 

5 Bell Moto 9s in my line-up. Love 'em. You have to try a helmet on though, they each have a unique fit. Get the one that is most comfortable to you. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I just gotta share this.

Every time I see bell helmets all I think of is that nitro circus were cam is trying a loop de loop and he says,

" yeah I should be fine, I got a bell helmet. Well, not the company bell, I stole it from Andy bells garage."

Hahahaha. One of my favorite lines from those movies ever.

• Like 3

5 Bell Moto 9s in my line-up. Love 'em. You have to try a helmet on though, they each have a unique fit. Get the one that is most comfortable to you. :thumbsup:

:(

dude who needs 5 helmets?

I've heard once bell started selling helmets at walmart their reliability went down. But I'd stick with the Moto 9 if you really want a bell. I have a buddy with one and he loves it. For me I'll stick with shoei

I've heard once bell started selling helmets at walmart their reliability went down. But I'd stick with the Moto 9 if you really want a bell. I have a buddy with one and he loves it. For me I'll stick with shoei

I know this will be hard to believe for the hardcore shoei fan boys but, I once suffered a major concussion while I was wearing a vfx-w. While replacing that lid I bought a moto 9. I found that it fit the shape of my head better than the shoei. I then proceeded to take a hit hard enough in the bell to give me an immediate headache. I then bought another moto 9 to replace that one.

Moral of the story?

Buy the one that fits your head better!!! I cannot stress this enough. A better fit is way more important than what brand your homeboy told you was the best. All the top tier helmets from the popular brands are extremely similar when it comes to testing. What's more important than that it is a snug fit!

Edited by Jdunn217
  • Like 1

I had a Moto8, it was awesome...great vents, light and comfy. I had used Bells since the early 90s Moto5 and never had any problems. These days I can't spend 500 bucks on a helmet.

Edited by OldMechanik
  • Like 1

I bought myself a BELL helmet almost a year ago and it has been gold. The only thing is its a bit small. Im only 15 and i'm already at XXL.

Teens always have swelled heads!

It will fit later in life.

• Like 1

Bell helmets is celebrating its 60th year in the business of making top line stuff!

Just a side note  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have worn nothing but the top tier Moto 8/9 series for the past couple years, I love my moto 9, well vented, stuff like a tucked in chin bar so its less prone to snag something in a crash, air pump ejection system, floating visor, are all nice features on top of top tier testing and the like.

But all of that is moot if it doesn't fit your head. 
But if it does, its an excellent choice.

• Like 2

What is most important is the helmet must fit correctly.  That is true, but presuming a helmet to be effective just because it fits right is not true.  The stuff between the shell of the helmet and your skull is what you use in the few milliseconds when you really need the helmet.  If it is a single layer/single density EPS liner, you can do better.

There have been independent tests finding cheap helmets to be superior to premium helmets.  Most of this was during the Snell 2005 fiasco, where the EPS liners on Snell 2005 helmets were found to be way too hard.  Snell 2005 helmets were great for extreme life-threatening impacts, but most of us dirt guys don't have those.  In less intense crashes, you might just as well have been wearing a brick on your head.  Snell 2010 addressed this.  

Now, you have options.  You can have the generic single density EPS liner wrapped in anything from plastic to advanced carbon fiber.  They all suck for our sport.  If you want to buy one and wear it, fine, but your chance of sustaining a concussion with a single density EPS liner is much higher.  The shell composition is meaningless from a safety perspective.  

You are better off with a multi-density EPS lined helmet.  There are several out there now, and more to come.  If you really want advanced protection, get a 6D.  You will walk away from a crash that would knock you out with a single density EPS lid.  It is important to note that both will perform as well in a catastrophic crash.  That is because 100 percent of testing is done at catastrophic levels.  DOT, Snell and ECE all test at the extreme that your brain can tolerate and still survive.  Those tests are all designed for the road.  What happens in a less than life threatening crash is not independently tested.  For that, we have to rely on manufacturers' data.  If you visit the 6D website, you will find their data.  http://www.6dhelmets.com/#!low-threshold-energy/c1b28 If you go to other websites of premium helmets, you will find very little.  If you try to find comparative impact protection metrics, you will find nothing.  

The days of "A helmet is a helmet and if it fits, it's good" are over.  There are differences now.  It will take time for people to come around, which is fine, and marketers know this, which is great for them.  Here is the thing, though.  You don't use your helmet every time you ride, you just wear it in case you need to use it.  If and when you use it, the decision you make now will come back to you.  Do your homework about helmets and decide for yourself.  I have seen two completely destroyed 6D helmets result in a kid with zero concussion.  I have also watched another kid deteriorate to the point of drooling and not knowing where he was from a mild tip over with a pretty single density EPS lid.  I watched Zach Bell's crash, too.  

Get a good lid, and if someone tells you the only thing that matters is that it fits, smile politely and thank them.  If they say there is no difference, because they all have the same certifications, know that those certifications (DOT, Snell, ECE) are testing to g forces that are barely survivable.  You want to survive an extreme crash, of course, but you want to avoid a concussion when you just high-side on the face of a jump, for example, or when you have the front brakes lock up at speed, which happened to me with a 6D.  Plenty of broken stuff, zero head trauma.  My son has been luckier.  Bigger crashes, but only the bikes and helmets were broken.  He, too, walked away with no head trauma.  Something to think about.

• Like 2

I had a Moto8, it was awesome...great vents, light and comfy. I had used Bells since the early 90s Moto5 and never had any problems. These days I can't spend 500 bucks on a helmet.

clearance....got my Moto 9 for $230. At that price point its a great helmet

• Like 2