Sign in to follow this  

01 kawasaki kx125 problems help please

Recently bought a nice clean kx125 starts first kick everytime has 5 hours on rebuild pretty good bike for the price. I went to ride today started up fine I let it warm up and started going and the bike started to rev by itself without me giving it gas. I pulled in the clutch and it was still revving I downshifted into first and then it was still doing it so I went to N and shut it off. I went to start it back up and the kick starter would grab at the top rub In the middle and catch at the bottom. I've never had this problem before. I finally got it started took it home and does the same thing but won't start. I took the kickstarter gear out and noticed a nice rub spot on the case where the teeth of the gear is. Kickstarter looks fine can anyone give me any tips or advice thanks?

Sounds like you have two problems. Is it still revving high or have you not been able to start it?

Where excatly is it rubbing? Can you post and pics?

The revving could be caused by an air leak. Did you have the choke on when you started it? Also a combination of the choke on, an air leak and incorrect air fuel mix could cause this. Find the correct air mixture factory settings. A lot of 2 stroke bikes rev high on start up and then idle down. You could also try adjusting your idle screw. To find an air leak you will need to pressure test it. What colour is the plug?

As far as the kick starter is concerned My best advice would be to get a manual say a Clymer and go though how it needs to be positioned and mounted.  

I have not been able to start it because it can not get enough compression with the kick starter gear rubbing on the case. I can post pics later but what it looks like is the gear teeth have been grinding into the case and it's ground in about 5 pieces of paper you can diffently feel it. And it's about 2in long I would say maybe a little less. It's funny you mention air maybe being a factor because the people before me had the case of and used some material to seal the case back and it is no good at all it's all sticky. It's not silicone and there's no gasket. It almost seems like the kickstarter had gotten moved somehow and Is now rubbing on the case. I'm putting it back together tonight. Thanks for your help I appreciate it a lot

Okay good luck. Sounds like it might not have been built or put back together quite right.