Sign in to follow this  

XC-F 450 Woods Map Adjustment

I have a 2013 model with an FMF 4.1 slip on and have installed a 12 oz flywheel weight.  The issue I have a lot is when riding technical single track and/or hill climbs, at low rpm, when rolling on the throttle it has a tendency to stall out.  I think this might be exasperated by the slip on changing the stock back pressure.  The addition of the flywheel weight didn't really help in this area.  Did great things for traction and making some of the bark in this monster more controllable, but she still pukes out way too much.  The three position switch seems like a half solution to me, as it will only give me one different map for 'mild', which I assume they mean tight and technical riding.  I don't really want to drop $500 on a computer link, and my local KTM dealer said that all they could do was reset my system and hope that that fixed it (for $80).  The guy there did suggest the JD Jetting FI tuner, and it looks like that would allow me to tune the system to my hearts content for less than half the price of the computer tuner.  So, has anybody used one?  Other thoughts?  There is a Rekluse in my future, so no need talking me into one of those.

same bike with i think the same problem. Some solved it with a bigger flywheel. mapping??? I added a core 3.0 and no more stalling. the flywheel is cheeper but then it would rev like a xcfw slower. with 60 hp is that a problem? I ride moto and like the snap of this motor. my old 450exc had awesome power but you had to rev and dump the clutch so traction was lost without perfect timing…i don't have it. i like to yank out of corners and slow well before corners to prepare cause I'm usually trying to breath. with just the recluse i have both. I still grab the lever  50% of the time but can forget or just ride and its great. starts i will use the lever. One last thing do you really believe the boys in Austria don't know how to jet a 60 hp bike?

• Like 1

Probably overkill, and wasn't as impactful as I hoped for, but the Vortex ECU would help.  It will let you run multiple maps, and several of them are torque style maps or enduro maps.  I have it and the bike never loads up (2013 450 SXF), coughs, etc.  

It should also help with fuel usage, power curve, total power, traction to the ground, etc. depending on the map you run.

Great product, bulletproof and great service from Mike at MT Racing, but to solve this issues it might be a matter of adjusting something else before spending $700.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  I think the rekluse would be on the menu before a $700 map adjuster for me, Joe.  The JD Jetting FI tuner is more like $225 and I wanted to know if anybody had experience with one. 

@sixktms- don't think it's a question of whether the KTM factory knows how to jet a bike, the question is, do they put a stock map on it that is optimal for my modded pipe and riding at 3,500 to 5,500 ft elevation, doing a fair amount of slower, technical riding.  This thing is basically the SX modified for trail, so I don't think slow and technical was really the design target they had in mind.  That said, I love the balls out giddyup in this thing, and don't want to take any more of that out of the bike than necessary.

i missed the elevation that you were riding in. still i think the core is the way to go. just out in wet and rocky hilly ( not mountains) stuff with my daughter15 son 14 and son 10 and the core let me slow to wait or help them with sections and was great. Now just have to decide which is the best way to mello the vibration,