Sign in to follow this  

best chain for trail

I have an 11 crf450. Looking for the best chain for the riding i do. 95% trail/gravel pit. I am looking at a Renthal 520 R1 or Did ERT2 non orings. Which is best for durability? Which stretches the least and has the least side to side movement? Also, I was looking on the Did racing website and they say that 02-12 Crf450r are 114 links. But my manual says for replacement chain use DID520DMA4/116RB. Doesnt this mean 116 links. Thank you

Go to RMATV/MC. If you have a bike profile they will show all parts that fit your bike.....that will solve your chain length issue. For the money, the Primary Drive chain/sprockets work great. All my dirt bikes have them. Steel chains for the little bikes and the o-ring for the big bike.

i was also thinking of a DID vt2 520 chain narrow x ring. But im worried that would scrape up the cases and chew up the tire.

I have the Regina ORN6 on my CRF450R. Best chain I have ever owned. Well over 150 hours and it's never stretched.

• Like 1

i was also thinking of a DID vt2 520 chain narrow x ring. But im worried that would scrape up the cases and chew up the tire.

the vt2 narrow chain is what you want as it's a "narrow chain" and won't scrape your cases,the vx2 is the same width as well,I used the vt2 but found it required too many chain adjustments for my liking so i'm trying the vx2 instead,you can can just look up the specs of the chains to see what you need.I know some hondas require a narrow chain to avoid hitting cases and is the same for my klx450,I searched on the rmatv fittment guide but it reccommends any old chain but I wan't to stick to the narrow chains so did some research and emailed chain manufacturers asking for chain widths

this right here. I have 140 hrs on mine had to adjust it only once now.

came stock on my ktm will buy another

• Like 2

Simple answer, DID makes the best chains for whatever you do, track or trail.  But if you like to ride it they really cut into your fuel budget.  EK and RK make very good chains for substantially less money.  Replace your sprockets before they stretch the chain.  Remember, the front sees 4x the chain and even though it is steel it wears out very quickly.

Edited by 1987CR250R

Definitely go with an o-ring chain.  I've had excellent results with the Regina chains.  Regular chains I would only consider riding in motocross, but for offroad the o-ring chains last waaay longer. 

I lube mine every time I wash it, which is every time I ride the bike.  I'll last a looong tme.

• Like 1

this right here. I have 140 hrs on mine had to adjust it only once now.

came stock on my ktm will buy another

Save_A_Tree_Eat_A_Beaver--my ad told me that one when I was only 7 years old, "Save the whales, eat the environmentalist."  So I go to school chanting my new phrase, to find out my teacher was a big lib enviro freak.  Don't know why he hated me so much though lol

I just got an email from renthal saying the R1 is 20mm wide and if you look on the did racing website that is wider than almost all their chains even the VT2 is only 18.6 mm at the pins. How is that possible?

If someone has a brand new vt2 narrow chain. Could you measure he length of the pins? I want to make sure it isn't wider than my r1 renthal.

If someone has a brand new vt2 narrow chain. Could you measure he length of the pins? I want to make sure it isn't wider than my r1 renthal.

Both my vt2 and vx2 measured at 18.7 which is what the specs sheet says for them on their website.

I just installed a VX2 on my Yamaha IT200. I had to go with the DID chain as all the rest was way to wide. From the research I did the only difference between the VX2 & the VT2 is the rollers are .004" bigger and about $40. cheaper.

DID Chain specs 2014.jpg

I've run VT2s on several bikes and they provide multi years of chain life, I can usually only get one adjustement a year. 

I apply a dry film teflon lube (Dupoint, ok for O ring chains, at Home Depot) after washing the bike,  helps dry the chain and lubes the rings.  The dry lube doesn't atract dirt that will wear the sprockets.