Sign in to follow this  

Raptor 700 or yfz450

Hay guys have been trying to figure out which bike would suit my needs better, bike would be used for trail riding and enduro / pony express clubman class events I'm 6"1 and 100kg if that makes any difference will be riding in Western Australia will be probably a 50-50 mix of sand and dirt track riding. The consensus I have found so far on here is that the 450 is pretty much pure motorcross and uncomfortable to trail ride with and the 700 a bit more traily but heavier. Additionally can u get longer a-arms and rear axle for the 700 really don't like the idea of it rolling on top of me :). Thanks guys

I think the 700 would be better suited to the riding you wanna do. I am sure you can get extend a-arms and axle for it.

Current ride: 1986 TRX250R with lots of mods.

Have owned: 1981 ATC250R with lots of mods, 1983 200X, 1986 250SX, 1991 KDX200

+2 on the 700. Much more trail friendly and in stock form, powerwise they are about the same. With a few suspension mods to the 700 it can be made handle great and there's a potential to make huge power out of it as well. 

• Like 1

Yfz450 ive ridden both and the 450 has the perfect amount of power weight i feel like everything is perfect on it. The 700 is fun as hell too but its a bit too much power for me. Also the 450 has like a much bigger mod market

In the end, if you build it a 700 will eat a 450. Stock form in a straight line they're about the same with maybe a slight edge going to the 450 however the 700 has more torque and down low in the woods. They may not handle like a 450 on the track but it's easier to go fast in the woods on the 700 with the ground clearance and the suspension set up.

If you ride trails, the 700 is a better bike for you. They're also less maintenance  

I have owned both of these.  I currently have the 700 as my keeper.  I did really enjoy the 450 but our main focus is trail riding so I opted for the best fit...for our needs anyway.  The 450 was definitely a race quad and you felt a bit more planted in it.  It was also going to demand more/frequent maintenance than I wanted to devote to it.  Anymore, it is nice to do just air filter cleanings and oil changes without having to make sure a racing bike maintenance schedule is adhered to so closely.  The 700 is not a maintenance demanding quad like the 450. 

I know there have been countless threads on the 700 being tippy.  But the paces we put it through, we have never had any issue with that...it has so much power you can always toss the back end around any dirt corners at speed without fear of coming off.  I am sure you could lower it some if that was a huge concern.  But for what it is, the 700 has plenty of everything.  Plus it has reverse.  Have seen it said that reverse gears are for pu$$ys, but in all honesty I didn't mind a little name-calling after I have gotten caught in a dead end situation and there is no front way out.  Sure beats pushing that thing back out.

I also love the fuel injection aspect of the 700...do not have to spend any time dialing it in...it seems to do fine in any climate without any hesitation ever.  I do think the headlights suck, as they are little "eyes" and I remember from my old Banshee days, those little crap lights on the front sides are useless for two reasons: 1.) You have to wait for the frame to catch up with the direction you are heading, so basically you can find yourself leaping before looking at night.  2.  So even if you get over the fright of leaping first, then it is followed by almost no illumination.  I know I can probably spend a few buck$ and remedy the light situation.

Taking nothing away from the 450, it was just not a fit for our uses...if I was a track enthusiast, I would be on the 450 and would have sold off the 700 by now.  The 450 is light and nimble, and you can tell that the second you get on board...just not the weapon of choice for our trail system.

The 700 has a lot of engine problems and is expensive to fix while the yamaha is expensive to fix the 450 will do some damage on a 700