Sign in to follow this  

dr-z400 turkey baster mod

since my coolant over flow was removed from the PO i decided the quick and inexpensive way to take care of that problem. here are some pics of where i mounted it.i used 3.5oz baster a 3/4 plug, 2' fuel tubing1/4 ID 3/8' OD some hose clamps and a brain. it was fairly easy here are some pictures.i moved the horn over to the other pre drilled hole and used a hose clamp to mount the baster. took me about 30 minutes.

CAM00274.jpg

CAM00275.jpg

CAM00277.jpg

CAM00279.jpg

CAM00280.jpg

CAM00281.jpg

CAM00276.jpg

Edited by fuentes52
  • Like 1

Looks great! Hope I'm not hijacking your thread but I have a question. What would happen if you just capped of the line that goes to the reservoir? On my 09 klx250s I cracked the overflow within 100 miles (also broke my wrist lol) and just removed it and put a bolt in the hose. Put 18,000 hard miles on it and never had a problem. Thanks

im a diesel mechanic so im no expert on bikes but its all the same principle. but a coolant overflow or a recovery tank is when the bike is up to operating temp the coolant will expand or rise like anything else that gets hot so the water has no where to go but to build pressure on the cap or go into the overflow without losing any coolant its all in one lop ot of the radiator in the bottle then back to the radiator. so capping it off im not sure but what i go by if its there its there for a reason unless someone has a in genius mod like this.  your best bet is to let it breath by just running a line to the bottom of the bike but the disadvantage to that is you may lose coolant on the ground or buy a new bottle orrr TURKEY BASTER!!!

Edited by fuentes52

huge turkey baster I for the life of me could not find one bigger than like 1oz . which is on my bike atm. were did you find your turkey baster?

Looks great! Hope I'm not hijacking your thread but I have a question. What would happen if you just capped of the line that goes to the reservoir? On my 09 klx250s I cracked the overflow within 100 miles (also broke my wrist lol) and just removed it and put a bolt in the hose. Put 18,000 hard miles on it and never had a problem. Thanks

huge turkey baster I for the life of me could not find one bigger than like 1oz . which is on my bike atm. were did you find your turkey baster?

i got mine at target. i

im a diesel mechanic so im no expert on bikes but its all the same principle. but a coolant overflow or a recovery tank is when the bike is up to operating temp the coolant will expand or rise like anything else that gets hot so the water has no where to go but to build pressure on the cap or go into the overflow without losing any coolant its all in one lop ot of the radiator in the bottle then back to the radiator. so capping it off im not sure but what i go by if its there its there for a reason unless someone has a in genius mod like this. your best bet is to let it breath by just running a line to the bottom of the bike but the disadvantage to that is you may lose coolant on the ground or buy a new bottle orrr TURKEY BASTER!!!

ya I see what you mean. I just figured since these hold what a gallon of coolant ? That there wouldn't be much expansion compared to a truck that holds 10-12 gallons.

Nice job on the 30 minute TB Mod 52! Keep us posted on the cooling results. :thumbsup:

will do! So far so good

My only recommendation would be to change the hose clamp at the horn bracket to an adel clamp:

Adel%20Clamp.jpg

To prevent the hose clamp and bracket from chafing the turkey baster.

My only recommendation would be to change the hose clamp at the horn bracket to an adel clamp:

Adel%20Clamp.jpg

To prevent the hose clamp and bracket from chafing the turkey baster.

yeah i was going to do that but i didnt have any and tbe hose clamp was something i cab use to secure it

Like $30 for the Kawasaki one.

$30 and about 5 min to replace instead of modifying your bike for no good reason. I would hate to have to explain why a tree ripped my turkey baster off. KTM guys already laugh at DRZ's.

$30 and about 5 min to replace instead of modifying your bike for no good reason. I would hate to have to explain why a tree ripped my turkey baster off. KTM guys already laugh at DRZ's.

i did it because i needed to i was losing coolant and ifs getting hot over here. I will eventually buy a overflow bottle this just my temporary solution till i buy one.

Who cares what the ktm guys think :rolleyes:

The oem tank is fragile from what others have said who had theres cracked when riding (hell mine cracked, but maybe its just on individual cases with it being fragile), the op had no oem on his bike, and the turkey baster cleans up the look of the bike (my opinion). Also, the turkey baster fufills same role as the oem unit and way cheaper then 30 bucks, I dont see any reason not to do it personally but to each his own.

Edited by DeltronZ
  • Like 1

Another option (although it is a little expensive) is to run Evans waterless coolant.  No need for an overflow tank at all with that stuff as it simply will not expand and puke out the overflow hose (if the level is set correctly to just the top of the radiator fins), or boil. 

The only caveat with using Evans is it is good to have a fan mounted.  Since the Evans will not boil, you do not have the "warning" of your bike boiling over that conventional coolant provides.  I saw one guy literally melt his hoses using this stuff because he had no fan and was not aware of how hot it was getting.  Been running Evans for a few years now, it is a lifetime coolant too, no need to ever replace.  My bike has a small Trail Tech temp gauge, I don't notice any difference in cooling performance, just the lack of ever having to top off the radiator.  Set it and forget it.  I like the waterless aspect of this product from a long term internal corrosion standpoint too.

http://www.amazon.com/EVANS-POWERSPORT-Evans-Powersports-Coolant-Gallon/dp/B005DGZLQE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399779877&sr=8-4&keywords=evans+waterless

Edited by Duken4evr

Another option (although it is a little expensive) is to run Evans waterless coolant.  No need for an overflow tank at all with that stuff as it simply will not expand and puke out the overflow hose (if the level is set correctly to just the top of the radiator fins), or boil. 

The only caveat with using Evans is it is good to have a fan mounted.  Since the Evans will not boil, you do not have the "warning" of your bike boiling over that conventional coolant provides.  I saw one guy literally melt his hoses using this stuff because he had no fan and was not aware of how hot it was getting.  Been running Evans for a few years now, it is a lifetime coolant too, no need to ever replace.  My bike has a small Trail Tech temp gauge, I don't notice any difference in cooling performance, just the lack of ever having to top off the radiator.  Set it and forget it.  I like the waterless aspect of this product from a long term internal corrosion standpoint too.

http://www.amazon.com/EVANS-POWERSPORT-Evans-Powersports-Coolant-Gallon/dp/B005DGZLQE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399779877&sr=8-4&keywords=evans+waterless

hmmm thats interesting i like the concept but, it seems a little sketchy. have you experienced any abnormality in your cooling system? doesn't get hot to fast or anything?

Evanscool does not conduct heat anywhere as well as coolant/water. 

Our bikes take so little coolant, it makes sense to change it yearly, eliminating any worries of corosion due to contaminated coolant.

Remember to use distilled water.

hmmm thats interesting i like the concept but, it seems a little sketchy. have you experienced any abnormality in your cooling system? doesn't get hot to fast or anything?

I have not noticed any notable difference in cooling characteristics.  My bike has a fan kit with a BMW car thermo switch which activates at 203F per the Trail Tech which monitors the temp coming off the head.  Pretty much no matter how badly I torture my bike in hard core clutch slipping 5 miles of Hell type terrain, it won't go over 220F. My right thigh gets done medium rare from the fan though.  I did the Evans and the fan kit at the same time.  Honestly I have no doubt it would be fine with Engine Ice or conventional coolant.  The KTM has a high pressure rad cap (1.8) and I do like that the Evans does not boil and build much pressure in the system.   

Evans is a bit controversial.  The theory is it does not boil and therefore it is in full contact with the hot parts of the head, while water based coolant can locally boil with tiny bubbles on the head that are scrubbed away by the flow of the coolant.  Evans claims air is an insulator and that the it's product is more efficient at removing heat.  Others claim that the local boiling of normal water coolant efficiently removes heat. 

Who knows - I don't have a Masters degree in Thermodynamics.  A friend does though, perhaps I should ask him!  All I know is my bike never pukes coolant and the level stays the same and it won't overheat as it is set up now using Evans coolant.  Works for me!

Edited by Duken4evr