Sign in to follow this  

650R inconsistent auto-decompression

Usually my 650R kicks over and starts as easily as an xr80. Then it will go through a stretch where the compression stroke is as solid as hydro lock, requiring the manual release. Does something need attention, or is it a matter of technique?

Scott,

My bike is almost new, and I cannot kick it through, or wish to try that hard, without using the decomp lever. I usually let it lock itself at the 12 O'clock position, use the decomp to get it to the 10 O'clock position, then follow through on the kick. Starts first kick that way. I've been told you can damage the kick starter by muscling it too much, so I finess it as best I can. Best of luck.

I always toss the decompression release lever on the 600 and 400, but on my 650's I always used it. It was possible to kick through with a good kick though. If it's real easy to kick sometimes, that would alarm me. Maybe make sure your manual cable is not hanging up when you turn the bars or too tight.....

Mine was inconsistent like that too,,hated that design on the 650R. Changed to a Hotcams with no auto system...starts easy every time now