Sign in to follow this  

Bike still smokes after 4 hrs....

My '14 still smokes somewhat after 4 hours.  I changed the oil to 10w50 semi synthetic at 3.1 hrs, figured it was good but I noticed just today after I started the bike up in the garage that it still smokes.  I didnt baby it, and it runs strong.  Also Im bummed but my cold start doesnt work.  It worked off and on for a little bit but now its no bueno.  The problem is, is I bought the bike 5 hours away, guess I will just have to deal with it on my own.

when does it smoke? cold start up? when hot? or all the time? is it blue or black?

• Like 1

I noticed it in the garage on cold start, seems to lessen as the bike warms up.  My 11 kawi didnt do this and it had much more hours on it, I'll keep an eye on it.  

my 12 &13 have done this, the heavier the oil used the more this happens, during cold start up.

Your not the first person to have noticed this.

The problem stems from the light single compression ring pack used in 250f's.

Try not revving the motor at all during warmup, just let it idle till operating temp.

Seems when you rev it when the oil is cold, it flicks more oil up on the bore and it hangs on a bit longer than hot oil and floods the ring, quickly getting up into the chamber, and so a blue smoke puff, 15/50 or 20/50 oils that are better for the gearbox are a bit worse for this problem.

Bottom line is it's more common than you think, and more of a pain in the ass than a real problem.

Edited by pontiac252
  • Like 1

Thanks for the clearup.  The only problem I have is that on coldstart I have to rev it a bit since my cold start doesnt work, should I just replace the knob assembly?  Its only $43.

I see that you live in California, similar weather to here in Brisbane Aust.

The 13 &14 ECU's have quite a poor startup map, so try starting the bike without the choke button pulled at all, this may help. try to keep it running with a minimal amount of revving till warmed up.

A Vortex ECU box fixes all that, plus more power.

My '14 still smokes somewhat after 4 hours. I changed the oil to 10w50 semi synthetic at 3.1 hrs, figured it was good but I noticed just today after I started the bike up in the garage that it still smokes. I didnt baby it, and it runs strong. Also Im bummed but my cold start doesnt work. It worked off and on for a little bit but now its no bueno. The problem is, is I bought the bike 5 hours away, guess I will just have to deal with it on my own.

Too rich

• Like 1

Not sure on plug color but I am running the lean coupler.  Its hard to tell but it sure does seem like burning oil not fuel.  Other than that its been a great bike.

Not sure on plug color but I am running the lean coupler.  Its hard to tell but it sure does seem like burning oil not fuel.  Other than that its been a great bike.

1.7 hours on mine and it smokes also, exactly as you describe. I cant say anything other than its normal?

I run mine rich because I want top end power. Mine smokes for a sec when warming up but then goes away. My yoshi is so sooty though. It looks like a diesel truck exhaust. Run the stock plug if you don't want it to smoke. That should be about right. If it still smokes run the lean map. If the lean map smokes you have a roasted head gasket which can be a manufacturer defect. Don't even try to call suzuki the guy will all of the sudden pretend not to speak English.

• Like 1

I don't think the plugs have any effect on idle mixture, def not on cold start map.

Maps have an impact on fuel to air mixtures and yes the idle screw ties into that

Cold startup bike is in a default/rich condition until sensor come into play (air sensor and coolant temp). One thing that will make a bike run rich on startup is the tps setting