Sign in to follow this  

Motorcycle carrier

Hey everyone looking for some insight. I just moved to LA and left my trailer behind back home since there's nowhere to put it. I'm trying to think of options to haul my bike in the meantime until I can afford a nice pickup truck, but also am reluctant to buy a truck due to parking. I've been renting a u-haul trailer for $15 every week, which isn't a bad option at all. Only problem is I either have to pick it up the day before and try and find street parking overnight which will accommodate a trailer (not going to happen on a friday/saturday night), or wait until they open at 9am on sunday and rent it then (then stuck in traffic and can't get inland soon enough).

I currently drive a 6 cyl 2010 ford fusion. I'm not sure if it has a class I or class II hitch on it, but either way I'm pretty sure I can get a class II hitch installed if its not already a class II. From what I understand, class II can support a 350lb tongue weight.

I ride a CR125 and it weighs about 200 lbs (just over with fluids I think). Would it be feasible to use a motorcycle carrier on a class II hitch on this car? I know the suspension isn't going to like it at all, but I'm willing to drive this car into the ground, I only paid $7000 for it two years ago and its treated me very well, and I take care of it in return. I know people have done this on sedans before, my only concern is the tongue weight and rear suspension.

Edit: I've also thought about the style where you just load the front wheel on, and buying a spare back wheel (my current rear wheel has a small dent in the rim anyways) with a junk tire on it and just dragging it around. I feel like thats going to cause excess wear on the chain and sprockets though, and possibly some other parts. Thoughts?

Edited by dan2581

Hey everyone looking for some insight. I just moved to LA and left my trailer behind back home since there's nowhere to put it. I'm trying to think of options to haul my bike in the meantime until I can afford a nice pickup truck, but also am reluctant to buy a truck due to parking. I've been renting a u-haul trailer for $15 every week, which isn't a bad option at all. Only problem is I either have to pick it up the day before and try and find street parking overnight which will accommodate a trailer (not going to happen on a friday/saturday night), or wait until they open at 9am on sunday and rent it then (then stuck in traffic and can't get inland soon enough).

I currently drive a 6 cyl 2010 ford fusion. I'm not sure if it has a class I or class II hitch on it, but either way I'm pretty sure I can get a class II hitch installed if its not already a class II. From what I understand, class II can support a 350lb tongue weight.

I ride a CR125 and it weighs about 200 lbs (just over with fluids I think). Would it be feasible to use a motorcycle carrier on a class II hitch on this car? I know the suspension isn't going to like it at all, but I'm willing to drive this car into the ground, I only paid $7000 for it two years ago and its treated me very well, and I take care of it in return. I know people have done this on sedans before, my only concern is the tongue weight and rear suspension.

Edit: I've also thought about the style where you just load the front wheel on, and buying a spare back wheel (my current rear wheel has a small dent in the rim anyways) with a junk tire on it and just dragging it around. I feel like thats going to cause excess wear on the chain and sprockets though, and possibly some other parts. Thoughts?

I would ask them at u-haul i've had a couple installed there on my trucks, i don't see it being a problem with your car though . 

I would ask them at u-haul i've had a couple installed there on my trucks, i don't see it being a problem with your car though . 

Yep takin this week off from riding because I honestly want 1 weekend of laying around and doing nothing, been busy non stop for the past month with the new job. I had my hitch originally installed at a uhaul so they should be able to tell, me was gonna check the following week when I rent a trailer.

They make these to accommodate 1 1/4" receivers, but I assume they are intended for more of a mid size SUV that has better suited suspension. Like I said, I really don't care if its hard on my suspension, I just don't want the rear wheels to hit the body of the car. I also do care about safety, not only for my bike but for the sake of other people too. I'd even be willing to pay for some sort of custom setup at a trailer shop or something if it could be reinforced to hold more weight safely, the money i'd save in annual storage fees would be huge.

Yep takin this week off from riding because I honestly want 1 weekend of laying around and doing nothing, been busy non stop for the past month with the new job. I had my hitch originally installed at a uhaul so they should be able to tell, me was gonna check the following week when I rent a trailer.

They make these to accommodate 1 1/4" receivers, but I assume they are intended for more of a mid size SUV that has better suited suspension. Like I said, I really don't care if its hard on my suspension, I just don't want the rear wheels to hit the body of the car. I also do care about safety, not only for my bike but for the sake of other people too. I'd even be willing to pay for some sort of custom setup at a trailer shop or something if it could be reinforced to hold more weight safely, the money i'd save in annual storage fees would be huge.

If they installed it they will be able to give you a better answer, i would find out total weight of the carrier and the bike before going there , maybe even take them a pic, not everyone knows what they are.  :lol:

If they installed it they will be able to give you a better answer, i would find out total weight of the carrier and the bike before going there , maybe even take them a pic, not everyone knows what they are.  :lol:

Carrier is 36 lbs and bike is 193 lbs dry. So i'd be well under the tongue weight on a class II hitch. I just don't know much about cars thats really the unknown here. I definitely know its these really arent designed/recommended for sedans, but I know other people have done it and i'm determined lol. Your right, as soon as I say "motorcycle carrier" their gonna look at me all confused.

Edited by dan2581
  • Like 1

Same here. Those guys at U-Haul are good. I go to them every time I don't feel like doing it myself. :devil:

:thumbsup:

That's insane! :thumbsup::devil:

• Like 1

Same here. Those guys at U-Haul are good. I go to them every time I don't feel like doing it myself. :devil:

That's insane! :thumbsup::devil:

Hey, if it works. Least the mans ridin' . Girlfriend probably kicked him out  :lol:

• Like 1

Carrier is 36 lbs and bike is 193 lbs dry. So i'd be well under the tongue weight on a class II hitch. I just don't know much about cars thats really the unknown here. I definitely know its these really arent designed/recommended for sedans, but I know other people have done it and i'm determined lol. Your right, as soon as I say "motorcycle carrier" their gonna look at me all confused.

Dan, back in my day, when I couldn't afford it, I would take the steering off my bike and stuff the whole thing in my moms chevette. Did it for many years in a over heating 80's Citation Hatchback that would barely make it there. Those little boogers had the space. :devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL
  • Like 1

This ones my favorite

I wonder if he backs it off or if he rides it over the front. Hmmmm
  • Like 2

Dan, back in my day, when I couldn't afford it either, I would take the steering off my bike and stuff the whole thing in my moms chevette. Did it for many years in a over heating 80's Citation Hatchback that would barely make it there. Those little boogers had the space. :devil:

Lol I've been there a few years back before I had a trailer and hitch. Took both wheels, the bars and forks off and stuffed it in the back seat. Worked out nicely, but its a PITA to put back together if I'm just trying to go ride for a day, and its not smart. If I were to get hit by a car I wouldn't want a loaded dirtbike frame, forks, and two wheels flying into the front seat with me.

I wonder if he backs it off or if he rides it over the front. Hmmmm

Neither, the bike falls off the car on the highway. :lol:

Edited by dan2581
  • Like 3

Lol I've been there a few years back before I had a trailer and hitch. Took both wheels, the bars and forks off and stuffed it in the back seat. Worked out nicely, but its a PITA to put back together if I'm just trying to go ride for a day, and its not smart. If I were to get hit by a car I wouldn't want a loaded dirtbike frame, forks, and two wheels flying into the front seat with me.

We were all young back then and didn't care, we did it to :ride:, I did it too much :lol: Finally bought my first new 4x4 in 1980. Then were different times. :thumbsup::devil:

Neither, the bike falls off the car on the highway. :lol:

I'd also just look on craigslist for cheap van/truck's etc. You could get an astro van and might have to compress the forks a little but i used to and you can fit in the parking garages.. hell check and the full size chevy vans might fit certain parking garages too.. Look around to see what other vehicles fit wher you go. The suspension on your little car probably just aint gonna make it.. well maybe but I wouldn't bet on it.. Even if it worked I bet it would be dangerous if you had to make a fast maneuver on the freeway you might flip over and kill yourself. Look for a junk cheap truck/van. I think that's your best bet. I use a rear ultimatemxhauler on my chevy van and even though it's a full size van it's hairy to drive with sometimes.. I do have the 1500 van though.. but that's a hell of a lot more stable suspension wise than your little car. I bet it bottoms out. Good luck!!!

just looked.. This is like your car? I don't think that's gonna work..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Thx for the suggestions, but I don't want a motovan as a daily driver. Would rather just get a pickup truck when I can afford one. I could sell my car and get one now, but I'm reluctant to buy a cheap used truck because I know they get beat on and are EXPENSIVE to repair, and I don't wanna end up buying a can of worms. 

It would be nice to find a riding buddy with a truck that would like to pick me up every sunday morning and take me to my desired riding area/track and take me back home, but I doubt thats gonna happen. In the meantime uhaul trailers will work fine, just need to get a semi-permanent option.

the motorcycle carrier in the hitch would be fine. I put that much weight, plus some, in the trunk of my parents Impala many times before.even in the Taurus. Look at it this way. the car seats 5 people. how much would 4 passengers weigh, with added luggage in the trunk? at 150 lbs a piece, thats 400 lbs. plus luggage of 25 lbs and you have 500 lbs. and i doubt the motorcycle hanging off the end would outweigh your engine and tranny for front end traction. you'll be fine. just drive a little tiny bit slower and take corners with a little more care when the bike is mounted on the back. The car was designed with the weight in mind. it just needs the carrier to adapt it to the motorcycle.

now, if you were trying to haul a huge harley with all the options.....that might be a different story. but your not. its a tiny bike.