Sign in to follow this  

how should i replace this?

Hi guys while i had my top end rebuilt after i got it back i started it up and it locked up a few seconds after the kicker was locked and wouldn't move so after tearing down the head (which was all good as thought timing may have been out) so i decided to take the stator and flywheel apart to find the chain guide housing (as pictured with red ring) has snapped due to the chain locking up is there a way to replace (without buying a new case) or stop it from slipping out again, 

i forgot to that i will be replacing chain and have cleaned out the side casing

thanks again

NOTE: picture is NOT my bike i found it on google as havent got access to picture at present

images.jpg

Edited by supergimp2000

"Costly" is a little bit subjective, but I would call it that.  Depending on what kind of bike this is, it may be more or less feasible than replacing the cases with used ones.

Fabricating the piece isn't the hard part. Finding a shop or skilled individual who understands how to weld cast aluminum is the trick. There are entire technical books on pre-heat, welding, and post-heat technique. Most current weld shops won't touch this, they would recommend replacing the cases.