Sign in to follow this  

HELP! 06 - CRF 230 WONT START!

Ok guys, so my girlfriend just picked up this bike last week we were out riding and this is what happened. We sat down to take a break just drank some water etc. when we went to get going again she pressed the electric start button and we heard a snap like a loud ping. Now when we try to use the electric start the bike just whines, it sounds like the electric starter is spinning and not catching anything. We tried to bump start it and it wouldn't start.

Also previous to this snap if the bike was dead in first gear and you pull in the clutch it would start. Now when the bike is in first gear and you pull the clutch in the starter doesn't even try to spin. The bike will also now roll in gear with some resistance very little its near feeling of being in neutral. I can also gear up on it with the bike being dead forever. ( I can use my foot to gear up, gear up, gear up, my yz stops when I go up to second on it I cant go any farther, this Honda I can do 100x.) Pressing the electric start I don't hear any combustion happening and same thing with when I attempt to push start it. you can smell the gas though the gas is getting to it.

Ive tried a sparkplug, cleaned carb, air filter.... Anyone have any ideas? im hoping its just something in the starter and not something deep in the clutch.

Sounds like a broken cam chain.

Tech25

thanks for the reply, sorry im not very mechanically fluent. I can replace and repair everything on a bike external to the engine and tranny I'm not sound in that area. Could you tell me where the cam chain is located and its purpose?

Top of the engine, shifter side, round cover, 2 bolts with 8mm heads.

Remove cover to inspect chain.

If chain is real loose or broken I would recommend to replace tensioner also.

Get an OEM Factory Honda shop manual....

Good luck

Top of the engine, shifter side, round cover, 2 bolts with 8mm heads.

Remove cover to inspect chain.

If chain is real loose or broken I would recommend to replace tensioner also.

Get an OEM Factory Honda shop manual....

Good luck

Just checked the cam chain and it seems to be fine, I tried to rotate it as much as I could and the chain seems to be in tact.

Also tried to start it while watching the cam chain and as I start it the chain did not move at all. Not very good with engines but does this mean that the electric starter isn't engaging? because if it were engaging the cylinder would be moving which would cause the cam chain to move wouldn't it?

Can anyone confirm this or anyone else have any other opinions

Another discovery... . Just checked the engine oil and it was bone dry...

I don't think anything seized because the snapping sound happened when she tried to start the bike not when it was riding. Any one have any idea what else could've happened?

Im leaning on a snapped connecting rod?

Remove engine, begin disassembly,

Start with flywheel cover, flywheel, and starter spragg/clutch. If required, cylinder head, cylinder and piston.

Diagnose, order parts required, clean all parts, scrape gasket material, clean everything some more, do not use any kind of rags to clean or dry parts unless lint free and use lots of compressed air, reassemble, be proud of your accomplishments and ride bike once again.

If anything has a major problem like seized cam, piston, broken rod, etc. replace oil pump also!

Got an OEM factory Honda shop manual coming yet?

Edited by adnohguy

Remove engine, begin disassembly,

Start with flywheel cover, flywheel, and starter spragg/clutch. If required, cylinder head, cylinder and piston.

Diagnose, order parts required, clean all parts, scrape gasket material, clean everything some more, do not use any kind of rags to clean or dry parts unless lint free and use lots of compressed air, reassemble, be proud of your accomplishments and ride bike once again.

If anything has a major problem like seized cam, piston, broken rod, etc. replace oil pump also!

Got an OEM factory Honda shop manual coming yet?

Im going to go to my shop to order one tomorrow.

I don't know if im mechanically inclined enough to take apart an engine like that sounds like I would end up getting into the bottom end. Do you know how much it would cost me if I got a shop to take it all apart?

Or would a manual make all of this a lot easier? I don't know if I feel confident enough tearing down a motor.

If you've never done it before a manual is pretty much a must have item. 

You can try youtubing this topic.  Lots of folks post how-to videos.

My first thought though was that the starter gear had snapped.  Not sure if that's something easily checked or not as I've only had my bike a short while.  My starting issue was electrical (clutch safety and neutral switches are both hooped) which ended up to be a simply fix (short out the clutch safety).

Good luck with your issue!

Another discovery... . Just checked the engine oil and it was bone dry...

How did you check the oil level? The bike needs to be straight up and down to the ground and not leaning on the side stand to get an accurate reading of the engine oil level. 

When you press the starter button is the piston or timing chain moving at all? If not, you may want to check out the starter motor before you start tearing the engine apart.

Edited by kkim

I would check the starter first to see if it turns the engine .