New 690 E/R running hot, how to cool it off?

I found the thread about the Suzuki radiator fan switch, but I'm looking for things to do to cool it off in the first place.  Before I bought this bike, I agonized between the 690 and the 500 EXC.  I read lots of posts about de-smogging the EXC, the Blais Racing block-off kits, re-mapping, etc.  I can't seem to find similar procedures for the 690.  I get that KTM sets them up lean and hot for emissions, but what can be done to richen and cool them down?  Aside from a radiator fan that's constantly on?  Last night was my first ride after dark and the bike was running steady at 9-10 bars temp for 30 minutes, 65 MPH, and ambient temp was 70 degrees.  I stopped for gas and before I could turn the bike off the radiator fan was already running.  As far as I know, it ran the whole time down the highway.  It seems to cut on at two bars from max.  I bought a bottle of Water Wetter, but not sure how much good that will do.  Other than worrying about a hot motor, I'm loving the bike.  If I've missed a similar thread, please point me in the right direction.

Open to headlight suggestions too, low beam sucks, and high beam is just tolerable!

V/R,

Jeff

I found the thread about the Suzuki radiator fan switch, but I'm looking for things to do to cool it off in the first place.  Before I bought this bike, I agonized between the 690 and the 500 EXC.  I read lots of posts about de-smogging the EXC, the Blais Racing block-off kits, re-mapping, etc.  I can't seem to find similar procedures for the 690.  I get that KTM sets them up lean and hot for emissions, but what can be done to richen and cool them down?  Aside from a radiator fan that's constantly on?  Last night was my first ride after dark and the bike was running steady at 9-10 bars temp for 30 minutes, 65 MPH, and ambient temp was 70 degrees.  I stopped for gas and before I could turn the bike off the radiator fan was already running.  As far as I know, it ran the whole time down the highway.  It seems to cut on at two bars from max.  I bought a bottle of Water Wetter, but not sure how much good that will do.  Other than worrying about a hot motor, I'm loving the bike.  If I've missed a similar thread, please point me in the right direction.

Open to headlight suggestions too, low beam sucks, and high beam is just tolerable!

V/R,

Jeff

Take it back to the dealer, there is something wrong with it if it's running 9 to 10 bars all the time.

For the headlight not much you can do even with a super bright light bulb. I have fitted a pair of Bajadesigns SII LED and they work great. http://www.bajadesigns.com/products/led-lights-led-light-bar/sii-led-light . As for the overheat something is wrong. I live in the desert. The bike gets hot in town but is ok on highway. I got an EU spec so no smog restriction on mine and I have fitted an Akrapovic exhaust + header which helps. Check the coolant level. Check the oil level. These things drink oil (1 quart every 1,600 miles!). Most likely the bike needs to be connected to the dealer's KTM computer to check the fuel ratio or other fault codes. If your bike is a 14MY then there is a knob under the seat to adjust the fuel mapping. Check your owners manual. You dont want to run the bike on "bad fuel setting". KTM makes an oil cooler for the 690 SMC that can be adapted with a bit of fabrication/bracket to fit the Enduro. Anyhow, I would take the bike back to the dealer. It could be anything from a faulty thermostat to the ECU needing to be reflashed to everything in between. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice!  It is a 2014.  Oil level is fine, I tried to burp the coolant, drained a little out and added some Water Wetter - it helped a little I think.  It is completely full, but I don't know if there is an air bubble in the system somewhere, don't know how to tell for sure.  Still running 9 bars at highway speeds, steady 10 bars with the fan at anything slower than that.  I need to check the fuel dial, make sure it's ok.  The thermostat is alright I think, cuts the fan on at 10 bars.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a stock 2014, and it certainly doesn't do that.  It does tend to run hot, but just when sitting at light.  When it's real hot out and I'm sitting if it is going to be a while I sometimes turn it off while I'm waiting.  Once underway it sits around 7 bars.

I took it to the dealer, they checked it out and said everything is fine. It has been pretty hot down here, 90's, but it's going to get hotter. I plan on getting an Akropovic and having it done at the dealer so he can re-map if need be. I'm told it will cool down a bit when it can breathe better. Also picked up a bottle of Engine Ice. Plan on replacing the coolant with that once the radiator drain plug washers show up. I hear good things about that stuff. Any opinions on the billet oil filter covers? I wonder how effective those little fins are at pulling heat from the oil.

Jeff

I took it to the dealer, they checked it out and said everything is fine. It has been pretty hot down here, 90's, but it's going to get hotter. I plan on getting an Akropovic and having it done at the dealer so he can re-map if need be. I'm told it will cool down a bit when it can breathe better. Also picked up a bottle of Engine Ice. Plan on replacing the coolant with that once the radiator drain plug washers show up. I hear good things about that stuff. Any opinions on the billet oil filter covers? I wonder how effective those little fins are at pulling heat from the oil.

Jeff

Lots of folks would say Water Wetter and distilled water is the best combo for cooling. I think the little fins on the oil filter covers would do nothing... As long as the bike does not boil over or get so hot it starts to try to stall, don't stress it. Things will only go bad if the fan fails. Keep good fresh oil in it for hot conditions.

The re-map is the key part if you want it to run cooler with a new exhaust. Re-map = more fuel = less lean = cooler.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure about the EU map but the exhaust on on US models should be more restricted due to tougher emission regulations. I ripped mine off and put an Akro + Evo 2 kit

So I had it re-mapped at the dealer today. According to them, the original map was KM7J5U514E0301. The new map is KM7J5EU14E0301. I went for a short 15 or 20-minute ride around town, mostly stop-and-go. I couldn't tell any dramatic difference. It still about 2 bars from the top of the temperature scale. The fan would turn on at most stop-lights, depending on how long they were. Then it would turn off once I got going. It was about 85 deg F. This isn't really definitive, but I still feel better. If anyone has any comments about the maps (or anything else), I'd like to hear it.

Verify with KTMTwins before you buy or try it.  

Found this.  Fans activate earlier at 190F vs. 221F, ouch.   I am going to check with KTM Twins on the 2014 690 Enduro too. Fans take a while to kick on for my bike, but does kick on at long stoplights.   

>>>This thermostat switch is a direct replacement switch for all the KTMs in our line up. It starts the cooling fan at 88C/190.4F instead of the stock 105C/221F.<<<

KTMTwins 690 950 990 1190 Thermostat Switch Upgrade

KTM Part Number: 27-7349
Manufacturer: KTMtwins

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-690-rc8-thermostat-switch

ktt-thermo-switch.jpg

• 1 month later...

Spoke to the folks at KtmTwins today. That switch fits all Ktm's EXCEPT the 2014 690 E. Ktm, for whatever reason, switched from a 2-prong plug to a 3-prong so these won't work. They are trying to source a new one for the 2014, but they haven't found anything yet. If anyone knows of one that will work, please do tell.

Jeff

that is normal for sitting in traffic when 90+ degrees outside not for " 30 minutes, 65 MPH, and ambient temp was 70 degrees",,,,, Install the Power Commander 5 and add fuel,,,,

Edited by GSSP

Yeah I want to get a new exhaust and richer it up, but lack the funds right now. KtmTwins called me back today and said that they had received bad info. A couple of people called and told them it was fine and that their fan switch does indeed work with the 2014 690 E. They checked one themselves to be sure as they had one of the 2014is in the shop and it is fine. I have one coming now and will report back.

Jeff

Update: 2014 690 E/R (mine anyway) still has a two-prong connector, so the KtmTwins radiator fan switch works. Installed it this morning and it's great. Ktm should have done it this way from the factory. Drained and replaced the coolant with Engine Ice. It was an improvement. I would say it runs one bar cooler on average compared to whatever pink stuff it was filled with when new. I'm much happier now. Rode hard today, lot of slow off road, 95+ temps in the Florida panhandle, sandy slogging and coolant temp never went above 9 bars.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

As a further update to help with temps (and to get more powa) -- I had my local dealer load mapping version: KM7J5EU14E0331 (this is the unrestricted EVO Euro map for 2014) - this richened up the mix a bit.  Took about an hour including doing the 15 minute idle adaptation at the shop.  The charge was $45 and was noted as "Diagnostic" on the work order.  FYI - the bike has the Wings exhaust with the large insert + Uni Australia foam air filter.

No negative side effects, stalling, etc.  Power was smooth across the rev range. Throttle response is better, power is definitely up and the overall temps do seem to be down.  On a recent ride, I was showing only 6 bars when cruising at 50+ mph on back roads and ambient temp was ~75*F.  Offroad and riding slower technical sections, temps did rise (leaving 3 bars open from the top) and the fan would kick on, albiet earlier per my prior post.  After two fill-ups MPG seems largely unchanged.  
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

70F in Florida is not the same 70F in Oregon.

It "seems" to be a little high for 30 mins on the highway, but I can see it climbing quick if you're doing any stop and go riding.  I've looked down at my gauge and thought it should be lower as well, but when the humidity is gone and the temps drop the gauge is much happier.