New here. Rmx 250

Hey all, I'm new here . I'm picking up an rmx 250 1989 tomorrow for 100$. I couldn't pass it up. It's not even a basket case! I've been rebuilding atvs and am a member on the trx250r forums and atvrider forums for those who ride atvs.

Anyway, this is my first dirt bike. I wanted to ride on the road and trails and was looking for an xr to build a flat tracker or supermoto but depending on the condition of the rmx I may built it. N

The vehicle was maintained up until he put it in the garage due to lack of time to ride. Air filter is deteriorated of ourse . Can any one help me name a few things I should check and make sure are in proper working order after a long time sitting? Obviously carbs gas tanks fluids will be cleaned and changed and I will check the top end.

Any help or info will be great! Thanks

I'll upload pictures for any who are interested when I pick it il

First thing drain the gear oil cause there's probably condensation in there and clean the carb. Cause u no there's trash n there. Squirt some wd40 in the spark plug hole and let it sit. Check chain tires spokes. Cables.

Pull off the ignition cover and check for moisture/water/rust damage.  If it's been sitting for a long time I'd replace the wet and dry side crank seals just to be safe.  

Once up and running it would be a good time to service the forks.  I'd change the seals--if nothing else at least change the fluid.  Changing the antifreeze, wheel bearings and greasing the suspension linkage would be high up on the list for me as well.    

Edited by Rot Box

Original owner ! He needed it gone. Had it at his moms house and she didn't wanted it and has some trouble so he needed tobgetbitbgone. I jumped on it. Came with more tires riding gear. Got to admit its clean . No rust and barely wear in the frame. Full skids and more aha.

@250rheath, loving the avatar pic man!

Original owner ! He needed it gone. Had it at his moms house and she didn't wanted it and has some trouble so he needed tobgetbitbgone. I jumped on it. Came with more tires riding gear. Got to admit its clean . No rust and barely wear in the frame. Full skids and more aha.

@250rheath, loving the avatar pic man!

Thanks it a fun bike. I wanna get a dirtbike to give it some company lol

Current ride: 1986 TRX250R with lots of mods.

Have owned: 1981 ATC250R with lots of mods, 1983 200X, 1986 250SX, 1991 KDX200

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys . 📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399689199.958552.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399689217.408296.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399689227.291192.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399689240.091573.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399689253.842272.jpg.

Hope the pics works. Had to lay it down to fit in the van but once I get it into the work place I'll have it running.

I don't think it's to bad for $100

By far the best deal I've come across.

Wow .. For $100 that's awesome ... What does $100 get these days .. Beer ~ Pizza ?

• Like 1

great find. I have a running '90 RMX, which I do Enduros with and a '89 parts bike that I might restore. besides the obvious items (change oils/fluids, clean carburetor, flush tank, check/lub cables/chain, like ATVs), this particular bike, you'll probably want to check the flywheel. the flywheel housing is dry and there is a drain hole that gets plugged up and water collects, and the flywheel rusts and the magnets get lose. if that happens, clean the inside of the flywheel and magnets to naked metal and JB weld (the 2 component over night curing) the magnets back to the flywheel. normally, make sure the drain hole is open and squirt some WD40 in there every so often. the suspension has grease fitting, depending on how long it has been sitting, you probably want to re-grease them making sure all the old grease is pushed out. you'll want to change the fork oil and probably the rear shock oil and recharge it. it has a power valve that needs to be cleaned/inspected every so often. 

the RMX is an awesome trail bike, not sure what your rules are about plating in your state. it's probably ok on the road for short jaunts, but would need taller gearing if you wanted to dual sport it and ride it on the road a lot. it's a little doggy with the stock pipes, so getting a  FMF pipe for it and a turbine core, will wake it up. also, one reliable trick is to put the RM250 head gasket on it, which increases the compression a little and gives more top end. there are more mods, but those are the basic ones. 

Edit: oh, if you plan to do tight technical stuff, I would take off the front brake cover, since the brakes tend to over heat with it on on long slow technical downhills.

Edited by cynicryder