Sign in to follow this  

Hub measurements

Could someone do a big favor and measure CRF250L brake disk? I'm trying to verify if L and M front hubs are the same in that regard. Looking to make a 21" front wheel for M so I'm curious about why the hubs have different part numbers, I doubt the disc would be different? Maybe spoke alignment?

Hole center to hole center,

post-367930-0-13494900-1399641919.jpg

post-367930-0-34970400-1399642154.jpg

If someone happens to have L hub around, I wouldn't mind a similar pics. :D

crf250m_hub.jpg

crf250m_hub2.jpg

Edited by Hege
  • Like 1

Could someone do a big favor and measure CRF250L brake disk? I'm trying to verify if L and M hubs are the same in that regard.

Hole center to hole center,

If someone happens to have a L hub around, I wouldn't mind a similar pic. :D I'm curious if the spoke alignment is different, but probably hard to see from the pics..

I do have one laying around without a rotor on it .... I am at work but I can take a pic and measure it for you either tonight or tomorrow morning ...  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I do have one laying around without a rotor on it .... I am at work but I can take a pic and measure it for you either tonight or tomorrow morning ...  :thumbsup:

Thanks... renamed the thread a bit, maybe we could compare them properly in all aspects. It's probably hard to compare the spoke alignment..

mine is still spoke'd to the rim ... but I am thinking of lacing them up to sum supermoto rims someday. 

I think the spokes are just a matter of how many is all ... it is pretty much a standard across the board.

Edited by gnath9

What I've found that there are more than enough standards to go around. Different rims/hubs require different drilling, spokes, alignment, whatever... 21 x 1.85 rims are much rarer and the D.I.D. ones here are KTM drilled which might or might not work. With all the testing, building and drilling and spending lots of money I might just go for the extremely cheap CRF250L 21 x 1.60 front wheel if the M brake disk fits..

maybe you can contact these guys .............. http://www.allright.eu/  

D.I.D. rims are what comes on our bikes from Honda.

I know that they make the right rim for our bike in black and Dubya has a listing for them but, Dubya uses their own part# system ..... http://www.dubyausa.com/images/Dubya_Catalog_Vol_2.pdf

Edited by gnath9

Looks like I forgot to measure the width ...  :facepalm:  I can do that for you if needed .... 

I took these by myself so it was hard to hold the tape still .... this should still work for you ...  :cheers:

post-327736-0-14797700-1399763855.jpg

post-327736-0-18308300-1399763853.jpg

post-327736-0-69759200-1399763851.jpg

IMG_20140510_180244.jpgIMG_20140510_180312.jpgIMG_20140510_180343.jpg

Edited by gnath9

post-327736-0-69759200-1399763851.jpg

Appreciated!  :cheers:

Trying to make sense of the inches.. I came about:

1 9/16 = 39.7mm (close enough)
2 15/16 = 74.6mm (close enough)
4 15/32 = 113.5mm (???)

This one in the pic above doesn't make sense. Can there be a difference or is it just the picture angle?? Can you double check the exact measurement? I measured the longest length in all three positions and it's exactly 115mm or in inches 4 17/32 (=115.09mm).
  • Like 1

I would say it's 115mm.  If you zoom in and check both hole centers you'll see it.  The 2" mark is slightly short of center by about a 1/16".

Yes I see the 2" - 1/16... but that means 4 17/32 should make the other bolt center at 4 1/2 which looks way off.. but could just be the pic.  :excuseme: It doesn't make sense to me that they would make different sized fittings for the rotor for the "same" bike.

• Like 1

I doubt they would make them with a 1.5mm difference.  Surely its just the pic and the very un-precise way of measuring man.

To me it looks like the marks fall at about 1 15/16" and 6 1/2" so you figure that up and it comes to 115.88mm.  You couldnt even get a 100% measurement doing it in person that way, let alone trying to do it from a pic over the internet.  But I think we can agree that the measurements show that it is more than likely the same size as the one you measured to be 115mm.

• Like 2

Sure yeah... just waiting if gnath verifies it.. I didn't necessarily need pics of the ruler for proof, just look carefully with own eyes for the values. ;)

Also are your M hubs black?  That would make the part number different.

No it's also silver. The hub in my pics is the M one! (I bought a second one)

Edited by Hege
  • Like 2

The reason I'm looking carefully is because bikerzbits asked a Honda mechanic which said "the bolt alignment is different". But it could also be misinterpretation and possibly mean the caliper/brake mounts?

But a bit too expensive to buy L brake disk or complete wheel just to try out..

• Like 1

75mm = 2.95276

40mm = 1.5748

115mm = 4.52756

They are the exact same ..... I just held a tape measure with one hand and took the pic with the other. 

If the rotor is bigger on the "M" then I am sure the caliper bracket is different but, that should not matter if you bolt the "M" rotor to it. 

All you need is to get a black rim and spokes man ...  :thumbsup:

Edited by gnath9

Great, atleast I know I can order the cheap silver front wheel - and tape it black. :D Maybe I'll do a more fancy 21x1.85 later.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If you already have the hub .... just get a rim and spokes ...  :thumbsup:

If it were so simple, there wouldn't be 652427 non-interchangeable models of hubs, rims and spokes available. :D

Not going to gamble on the wheel lottery yet, so I might as well get the guaranteed to fit ready assembled 21" for stupidly low price. I'm thinking I could try to do a black 19" from the hub I already have. Then I could see which I prefer the most.

The problem is nobody knows CRF250L, if you had a standard dirt bike there would be million ready made wheels and even custom builds everybody knows exactly what parts fit where.

The weird thing is a lot of those parts do in fact fit .... they are just not listed as doing so ...  :banghead:

I suppose you could buy a complete wheel from Honda as it appears to be the cheapest as opposed to a war9 or any other custom wheel assembly. Then you could just break it down and powder coat the rim and put it back together if you have enough ambition for the task ...  :ride:

• Like 1