Sign in to follow this  

Quick ID of YZ250 year.

Is there a quick, reliable way to ID the year of a YZ by looking at a picture?  I know colors other that blue are older but I'm trying to quickly identify '99 and up vs. '98 and older by viewing either side in a pix.   I think the older ones have their power valve on the left side of the cylinder, appearing as a big lump.  I'm always looking for another YZ but I see ads that the seller isn't sure of the year or they are absolutely wrong on what they're saying.

98 and 99 only differ by the motor so a quick id would be the power valve

OK, So there's no quick and easy ID on the right side?  On some ad's, they only have one pix - the right side.  

OK, So there's no quick and easy ID on the right side? On some ad's, they only have one pix - the right side.

Not to my knowledge

• Like 1

OK, So there's no quick and easy ID on the right side? On some ad's, they only have one pix - the right side.

On the 98 the hump for the power valve is built into the clutch cover (small cover for quickly accessing plates) and on the 99 it's not, it's further towards the water pump Edited by Woodsweapon350

On the 98 the hump for the power valve is built into the clutch cover (small cover for quickly accessing plates) and on the 99 it's not, it's further towards the water pump

OK, That helps a little if their pix is clear enough.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399651220.777583.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399651260.544272.jpg

OK, That helps a little if their pix is clear enough.

Yeah unfortunately that's all you have to work with

Between the 2, it also seems there is no side PV's for the older bikes? That side cover difference is definitely noticeable.

Yeah but that's going to be tough to see in pics with pipe installed

• Like 1