Sign in to follow this  

KX5 Parts…Hard to Find

I’m currently trying to build a 1987 KX500 engine and I’m finding quite a few engine parts that are discontinued or not available which doesn't give my project much hope. The biggest thing holding me up right now is the shift shaft ( 13161-1144 ). The one in my engine was bent bad enough that I had to cut the splined end off to split the cases.

There are other small items as well, but if I can’t get this piece I’m not sure what I’m going to do.

I’ve searched most of the big online parts suppliers with zero luck. I’ve sent half a dozen emails inquiring about parts only to be shot down. This is probably going to take a ‘friend of a friend’ type deal if you know what I’m saying.

If anyone has any input on where I might find stuff like this I would really appreciate it, thanks.

Edited by 317

88 and below are tough to find parts for. Even though a 88 looks just like a 89 and up 500, Kawasaki used the older style 2 powervalve engine in it. Keep searching, pretty much everything pops up eventually. You need lots of patience when working with the old iron!

Thanks to all for the replies. The engine is being built for a buddy that is putting it in a Suzuki Quad Racer for the sand. I've owned every other brand except for Kawasaki (except for an 84 KX60 I still need to put together) so please excuse my green ignorance.

It's becoming painfully obvious to me that there is an early and a late rendition of the KX5...and I have an early, which begs the question, what is interchangeable between the two engine wise?

Again, I appreciate your comments and while I can be patient, my buddy...not so much.