Sign in to follow this  

oil coming out exhaust

2008 ktm 85    starts easy, plug looks good, plenty of power, mixing the gas perfect, revs up fine, and it smokes white smoke on start up and idle. My problem is oil is coming out the exhaust. Coming out enough that its running dwn silencer an dripping dwn onto the swing arm. Bike supposedly was freshened up last fall. This is the first 2stroke I been around. Any help will b appreciated. Matt 

Go to 50 to 1 in a high quality oil. Remember to drain the tank completely. Don't mix different brands of oil or try to thin out what you have unless your real good at math. As far as different oils go... The expansion or burn rate could be different. You could lose lubrication due to clotting. Maxima is good or even Champion brand. I still us Bel Ray MC-1. Never had a problem with it. What ever you do keep an eye on the spark plug. Proper plug and gap are important. Take the bike through all gears. When she tops out pull in the clutch and hit the kill button at the same time. Pull the spark plug and take a look at the color. Assuming the jetting is correct the the bottom of the threads should be a little black with a little bit of oil. The ceramic that holds the center electrode should be light chocolate brown no wetness. There are other things to do but that is a good starting point.

Cheers

Go Green. Ride Air Cooled!!!

Changing your oil ratio to get rid of spooge is wrong! Your jetting is too rich or your countershaft seal is worn and the engine is sucking gear oil. Read this article and go from there. If your problem can't be fixed with jetting, then something else is wrong:

http://forum.dirtrider.com/discussion/7169620/spooge-101-/p1

• Like 1

Changing your oil ratio to get rid of spooge is wrong! Your jetting is too rich or your countershaft seal is worn and the engine is sucking gear oil. Read this article and go from there. If your problem can't be fixed with jetting, then something else is wrong:

http://forum.dirtrider.com/discussion/7169620/spooge-101-/p1

As I stated in my reply "assuming your jetting is correct" changing gas/oil ratio will help. The only thing I disagree with in that article is the heavy oil ratio. I've been running 35 to 50/1 ratios for years and have never seized anything. Back in the day before good synthetic oils came out we ran around 25/1. Same bike today I run 45/1 synthetic. No excessive smoke and zero spooge. Discloser; 1974 RL 250 Suzuki Trials and a Husky XC 500.

Very good article though. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Go Green. Ride Air Cooled!!!

Optimol 100:1 mix, No smoke, clean burn. I Started running this mix in Stihl, and Husky chainsaws many yrs ago, Ran it in two 1979 CR 250 Elsinores (new in the crate) in the early 90s, KDX 200 Etc, Etc. Never burned any up, that weren't worn out anyway. Expensive pint for pint, but you can mix a lot of gas at 100:1, Optimol recommends this ratio in ANY air or water cooled two stroke, and so do I.