Sign in to follow this  

What's a 1999 KX 250 worth?

I'm looking at a 99 KX 250. The bike is in pretty nice condition and supposedly has a fresh top end. The guy is asking $1850 obo. Seems a little high I was wondering how much one of these worth?

First off every used dirt bike you see comes with a "fresh top end". So, take that with a grain of salt. $1850 might be a little high but what is the overall condition of the bike? Just looking at it will tell you a lot about the life it's had. Check out the clutch cover, engine cases and frame. Are they all chewed up? Does it need tires, wheels, chain and sprockets, bars, etc.? Pull the seat off and check out the air cleaner and airbox. Also, if the bike has brand new plastics try to look past them. Cosmetic stuff like that is cheap and a lot of sellers try to throw new plastics on piles of junk.

Thanks yeah it should be pretty nice shape for that kind of money. I didn't think to look at some of the things you mentioned.

I was planning on bringing my compression tester with to check that fresh top end. I figured if the guy won't let me test it I'll walk away. Compression should be around 170/180?

Hello, I paid $1250 for my '99 back in dec. of '12. It was in very good condition. Good luck .

Post up a picture and we could give you a better range. If it is clean and in really good shape then $1850 is pretty fair around here. I don't know how the market is where you are tho. I would go and look at it and if i liked it I would point out the things I didn't really like and I would offer them $1500. I would say offer about $1200-1300 but you don't wanna insult them and have them raise the price :p

I payed 800 for my 98 kx250 and it had a new top end the jug was a complete different color like brand new color but the plastics looked like crap and that was only 3 weeks ago.

Edited by zgordon92

I'm going to keep looking, maybe I'll hold out for something newer.

Edited by jcm2112