Sign in to follow this  

Question about the 1 or 2 finger approach to using the clutch.

I tried searching but didn't have much luck. So I'm new to dirt bikes and woods riding so I'm getting used to feathering the clutch, etc etc etc. I started out doing it the wrong way, using all 4 fingers to pull the level all the way into the bars.

So, yesterday I'm trying to do the 2 finger approach, but I noticed my bike was still pulling a little. I would pull the level in with 2 fingers and would stop when it hit my other 2 fingers still on the bars.

Do I need to adjust my clutch or am I missing something? 

Bike is an 04 RM 250. I'm in the process of making it more woodsie, but at this point I'm still just getting used to it.

Thanks!

my 96 isn't running right now, but they lever on it, is shaped bad, and is really close to the bars. when I get it fixed up, I will get a lever that will stick far away from the bars(or custom bend some)

Two fingers? Get your lever right and you should be able to use one finger. Look at the shape. Those levers get bent often.

You might also be able to move the clutch perch to the right (sitting on the bike).

Getting your control's set-up on the bike is key. Handle bars forward/back. Lever's up/down as well as left/right on the bar's so they don't hit your fingers. Shifter position.

I cut mine. Just past the second finger. Love it like this. I'll try to post a pic later. It's dark out here now.

Same here, set up all my bikes this way. I can pull it as far as I want without pinching fingers.

The first thing i would do is see where your clutch perch is on your bars relative to your grip. If the perch is too close to the grip, you can loosen it and slide it away from the grip so you are getting more leverage with your two fingers, and there should be more room to pull it in before your fingers stop the lever. The other choice is to tighten up the cable so the clutch disengages earlier and disengages more before your lever hits your fingers. I usually set mine lever up so there is a little less then half an inch of play between having the lever all the way out to where i start to feel the pressure from the clutch springs compressing.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to try the combo. I'm going to move my perch in and cut off a bit so my last two fingers don't get in the way. I'll post before/after pics tonight when I get off work. I got new graphics in the mail today that I'm super stoked about ;)

Dont cut the lever, that little ball on the end serves a purpose.  Put the bike on the stand and figure out where it is comfortable to pull with two fingers standing, and not bad sitting.  Move it in or out up and down.  Then if your clutch itself is adjusted correctly, adjust the cable to where you have about 1/16" or so slack or free play.  If it isnt right after this, get a lever that is shaped differently or take a piece of pipe that fits over the lever and SLOWLY bend it right where the second finger sits.  Aluminum doesnt like quick movements as far as being bent, it breaks.  Slow and steady it shouldnt break to a point, but it shouldlnt take much bending to get it right.  

Oh, ever been impaled by a brake or clutch lever?  Trust me, you dont want to.

Dont cut the lever, that little ball on the end serves a purpose. Put the bike on the stand and figure out where it is comfortable to pull with two fingers standing, and not bad sitting. Move it in or out up and down. Then if your clutch itself is adjusted correctly, adjust the cable to where you have about 1/16" or so slack or free play. If it isnt right after this, get a lever that is shaped differently or take a piece of pipe that fits over the lever and SLOWLY bend it right where the second finger sits. Aluminum doesnt like quick movements as far as being bent, it breaks. Slow and steady it shouldnt break to a point, but it shouldlnt take much bending to get it right.

Oh, ever been impaled by a brake or clutch lever? Trust me, you dont want to.

Yep forgot to mention, don't cut levers unless you have wrap around.

Like me.