1985 XR200R. Fork upgrade question

I've got an 1985 XR200R and I would like to upgrade the front forks. I understand that 1986 -1989 CR forks are the preferred upgrade. But I've found a set of 1999 XR400 forks locally. Would these be a good upgrade path??? If really like to have a disk brake. But are the forks better than the stock 1985 forks on the bike now?

Thanks

Bob

Hi RWBill,

I did exactly what you are proposing by putting an XR400R front end on my 87 XR200R.

To be quite honest, the book is still out this one, as I am still trying to dial in my suspension. 

I must admit Honda did a great job with the front disk set up.

You will have to install ~ 17mm spacer to fit over the triple tree neck, other than that it is pretty much a straight bolt on. 

If you purchase them let me know, I will post some photo's for installation photo's. 

Michael 

Direct bolt on for more rigid forks and a front disc brake is the front end from a 84 -85 XR250R, no change in ride height. I did that to 90 XR200 and thought the extra rigidity from the larger fork diameter forks helped handling. I did use the 90 springs but for my weight I should have used at leat one of the XR250R springs (another subject regarding mixing springs and the problems with 2 rate springs).

But there are many other options out there but most require mods to fit the chassis.  One good point is the 84-85 XR200R chassis became the 86+ XR200 chassis so suspension mods to all of the later apply.

Most of the fork components from the 84-85 XR200R were used on the 86-02 XR200R.

Honda used the same steering head bearings on most of the off road bikes from the early 80s to the late 90s, making swaps easier.  However steering heads, and stems, lengths vary among models. The MX bikes have the longest steering head and stems.

The best suspension will be cartridge forks but you can get close by adding emulators to XR damper rod forks. The CRF150/230 is the next gen XR200 and that forum also has info on suspension upgrades.

Michael

The triple tree is smaller in diameter than the xr200r stem??

I thought the 85 xr200r and the xr400 used the same stem bearings?

Do you know of a source for the spacer???

Thanks

Bob

quote name="KTM520EXC" post="11590880" timestamp="1399676602"]Hi RWBill,

I did exactly what you are proposing by putting an XR400R front end on my 87 XR200R.

To be quite honest, the book is still out this one, as I am still trying to dial in my suspension.

I must admit Honda did a great job with the front disk set up.

You will have to install ~ 17mm spacer to fit over the triple tree neck, other than that it is pretty much a straight bolt on.

If you purchase them let me know, I will post some photo's for installation photo's.

Michael

The triple tree is smaller in diameter than the xr200r stemicon1.png??

No, same diameter

I thought the 85 xr200r and the xr400 used the same stem bearings?

They do

The problem is the steering stem is ~ 17mm longer than the stock XR200R, so you have to put a spacer in to compensate and pull the forks up through the triples ~ 17mm so the geometry is the same.  

My best friend has own Fabrication Shop, I just gave him my ID and OD requirements. I just wanted it made out of aluminum, instead of steel and it turned out great and works great.  

You probably would find something on McMaster-Carr Catalog that would work, if not, you would have to touch base with a local machine shop. 

I am attaching McDirtClod's XR200R photo, as he put I believe an older CR250R front end on his and it's where I got my idea from. This should help explain it a bit better.

Michael  

stemspacer-1.jpg

Michael

Thanks. I knew you needed the spacer with the CR forks. But I wasn't sure with the XR400 ones. Are the XR400 forks as good as the CR125/ 250 ones? Or would it be better to find the CR ones?

Bike will be used as a woods play bike and may end up plated so I can ride it to some local trails

Bob