Sign in to follow this  

Give me advice on using kfx450 rear shock on my motorcycle

I am trying to improve the suspension on my 90 Suzuki DR350S.

I picked a 08 kfx450r rear shock because it has very close eye to eye measurements as my stock shock. The travel is about the same 10 or 11 inches. The area where the top of the shock mounts is extremely tight and it looked like the kfx shock would fit in that area. The kfx also has adjustability my stock shock totally lacks. It was inexpensive on ebay so lets give it a go!!

went to racetech and for me, 200 lbs, it suggested a rear rate  5.48 where stock is 3.5. 

spring 5.4 SRSP 622854

funny did the same parameters for the dr350s and it recommended 5.8 and the stocks are listed as 5.4

maybe that is just difference in an atv and a motorcycle?

with my other research 5.4 sounds about right. There is such a thing as too stiff, especially for a bike that will be on the road more than dirt.

Sorry for rambling.

The thing I am clueless on is how to set up the kfx shock. Ideally I would like it to be civilized on the street and competent on gravel and rutty paths. I am not planning on pushing it hard. Too old for that. If I get any major air time it will be mostly by accident. Can't say that about my teen age boys though. So a setting that if it comes down hard the shock will not go kaput too?

Any good advise would be appreciated because I really want to get it right the first time. Once the bike is back together you can not get in easy to fiddle with the settings on the shock. 
Edited by geaux

Your not going to be able to set up the shock correctly with out it being on the bike.  You need to set you sag preload and rebound with you on the bike.  I suggest going to a shop and having them set the suspension up for your weight and riding style.  This is usually an inexpensive procedure.  My shop charges me around 30 bux for a suspension set up.  Im not sure what you can do if you cant get to the adjustment screws on the bike.

Thanks friend, good advise. Haven't put it on but I can easily get to all the adjustment screws except for the top and all that involves is unbolting the rectifier. 

first big problem found. The lower mount is a narrower than the linkage attachment. Maybe I can remove the bearings, file the attachment to fit, install the kawasaki bearings?  Sounds like an iffy proposition huh?

first big problem found. The lower mount is a narrower than the linkage attachment. Maybe I can remove the bearings, file the attachment to fit, install the kawasaki bearings?  Sounds like an iffy proposition huh?

are you saying the shock clevis is narrower?  if so install some shims.  I have 5.3 and 5.4 kg shock springs I will sell you for $50.  They are in perfect shape