Sign in to follow this  

KTM dealer that won't service Bergs. Bizarre to me.

So I go for a great ride today with the 570 Berg. This was one of those blow off steam rides. Fast, fun, and alone - well except for all of the younger punks who blew off school. Right near the end of the day, I stop to rest and notice that both of my fork seals are leaking. Shit, I think to myself. I'm going riding over the weekend and really don't have the time to change the seals myself. On my way back, I pass by the "Southeast's largest powersport dealer". Who by the way is a very large KTM dealer. I ask for pricing to replace the seals. The service adviser says that he needs to check with the tech's to see. When he comes back, he tells me that they won't service Berg's. I of course tell him that the forks are the same as a KTM and that I would even remove them first. Nope. I asked him why not. He, to get rid of me, tells me that they can't get the parts. Big dealer, lots of stuff. Unfortunately my last time there. Thoughts?

So I go for a great ride today with the 570 Berg. This was one of those blow off steam rides. Fast, fun, and alone - well except for all of the younger punks who blew off school. Right near the end of the day, I stop to rest and notice that both of my fork seals are leaking. Shit, I think to myself. I'm going riding over the weekend and really don't have the time to change the seals myself. On my way back, I pass by the "Southeast's largest powersport dealer". Who by the way is a very large KTM dealer. I ask for pricing to replace the seals. The service adviser says that he needs to check with the tech's to see. When he comes back, he tells me that they won't service Berg's. I of course tell him that the forks are the same as a KTM and that I would even remove them first. Nope. I asked him why not. He, to get rid of me, tells me that they can't get the parts. Big dealer, lots of stuff. Unfortunately my last time there. Thoughts?

Just take the forks off.  Take them in and ask the dealer "I know you guys said you don't service Bergs, but will you service my son's KTM forks?"  They'll service them without even knowing they worked on a Husaberg...lol.

• Like 1

Find a local susonsion shop id never use a dealer for service anyway.

• Like 1

Are they really the exact same forks that are on a KTM?

Like same seals would work and everything?

They even have the same Part Numbers. Most of my Berg is KTM. Almost everything has a KTM part number stamped on it. The engine and chassis are exclusively Berg. Where in Georgia are you from? Where do you ride?

Dealer doesn't want your business.... don't give it to 'em. 

Polaris used the KTM RFS engines in a Polaris-branded quad for a year or two.

Polaris has part numbers for damn near every engine component in my KTM.  (Which is nice when I've got a Polaris sled and connections to most Poo dealers, and also ride a KTM in the summer... doubles the number of dealers that may have the motorcycle parts I need.)

It was a mechanic's nightmare... KTM dealers wouldn't touch it because it was Polaris quad, and Polaris techs have no idea how to work on KTM engines. 

Fork seals are an afternoon job.  Buy the parts (cross-ref all the part numbers, in the case of my bike I dig up the '07 quad and pull the equivalent polaris part #'s in addition to the KTM #'s) from a dealer of your choice (or whoever has them in-stock/available) and do 'em yourself. :excuseme:

They even have the same Part Numbers. Most of my Berg is KTM. Almost everything has a KTM part number stamped on it. The engine and chassis are exclusively Berg. Where in Georgia are you from? Where do you ride?

Born and raised in Savannah and have lived here all my life.

Closest place is called Big Nasty (20 min away) in Pooler (they cater more to 4x4s).

Next closest is in Daisy called Live Oak (1 hour away).  I like that place.  Trails are fun with lots of turns.

Went to Durhamtown Plantation last month.  10x better then either of the other two but it is about a 4 hour ride for me.

How about you?