Sign in to follow this  

Clutch engagment problem

Hi I got a 04 rm 125 and the only way I can get the clutch to work even close to properly is with the cable adjusted out just about as far as I can and the clutch does not engage till the lever is almost all the way out trying to figure out a way to fix the problem and the clutch is brand new and just put a new cable on thinking the old one may have been stretched out a bit but it didn't help my problem

Clutch stack height to low. Band aid install another steel plate, or do it right and buy a new clutch kit. Many on e-bay around $50, use them all the time.

Personally I would not add another plate.  First off make sure that you have the correct number of plates (drive & driven).  If all you did was replace the clutch pack then that also means that you had the pressure plate off so there's a chance that you didn't reassemble the clutch correctly. 

Do you have a manual?  If not, print out an exploded view of the clutch and verify that the entire assembly was put back together correctly.

1990_10A.gif

Yeah adding a plate made the clutch not work at all and I have a diagram of it and have taken it apart 3 times to make sure there was nothing put together incorrect by me or the previous owner because it's been like this since I bought it

I've heard that when the surface of part #16 gets worn, it causes this problem. I also read somewhere to round that end of part #14 where it interacts with #16.

Bear in mind the clutch on my 2000 RM 250 has never worked correct. Tried everything but replacing this part. Post if it corrects the problem.

Booger2

I believe once the pressure plate is removed, lift off #15 and pull out #14.

I recall reading about rounding #14 in a dirt bike magazine. Never tried it but it does make a little sense.

Good luck and keep us posted

Booger2

Yep there will be a little down time though went to the track today and left with a fairly loud ping at high rpm guessing some piston slap and almost immediately when I let off the throttle in neutral dies quick and doesn't like to start got home has a little under 100 psi compression with a dozen kicks at wot thinkin it may be time for a piston hoping there's nothin else broke

Edited by tylertrudelle19

I have the same problem on a 02 RM125. I have replaced the cable (thought it was stretched), the lever (it broke when dropped), and installed a new clutch kit (the springs may have been weak). I have this all detailed on another thread. I hope to take it into a mechnic I trust this weekend and see what they say.

If you go to the actuator are coming out of the side cover. Where the cable runs down from the lever. If you put all the slack you can to it remove the actuator and put it back a couple more teeth and adjust correctly. Had this happen to my rm80 took a while to figure it out hope this helps

Hi I have an 06 rm 125. I figured it was time for a new clutch kit because there was some wear on the oem basket. I bought a brand new wiseco clutch basket along with the plates. After getting it all back together I went to ride it and it had absolutely no power. Almost like the clutch was slipping majorly. Brought it back in the garage and took it all apart again, made sure the plates were all in correctly.. After doing that same process a few times because my bike still had no power I'm very confused. Now I can push it while it's in gear with hardly any resistance. So it freewheels while it's in gear basically. Im super confused and have no idea what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I can maybe think of is when I was putting the new plates back in, I could not identify the two oddballs, the first plate and the last? Could this play a big role in my problem?

I soaked them all in oil overnight. I have my adjusters set so there is a little bit of play with the lever. Just can't seem to figure this one out