Sign in to follow this  

P/U Coil + Stator Troubleshooting

I have a friends DRZ (07 400SM) Im trying to figure out whats wrong and Im 95% sure its a stator and p/u coil problem. It won't start after it warms up, after it cools off it'll start right up. I went through many of the threads on here with DRZ's with the same issue and I think I isolated the problem to the stator. I had a hard time finding a difinitive way to figure if one of these components is for sure bad.

- Im getting 13.5v at idle to the batt, so its not the charging circuit.

- Im getting about 10ohms off the pick up coil when hot or cold. (black and white wires going to CDI)

- No continuity off the 3 yellow wires off stator.

I dont have a manual, I dont want to tell the guy to buy a part thats not going to fix the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by DSnyder78

No way this is a 'fuel in oil' problem?

Big negative. Fresh oil change, still had the issue.

I'm not getting any reading on the pick up coil (blue/green) so I imagine its safe to say the p/u coil is about done

Ok, shot the wires wrong. I'm getting 530ohms across blue/green, 1ohm across black/white on the pick up coil. Followed the troubleshooting for testing stator and R/R, all of which were good. Started the bike and let it run for a few minutes, I shut it off and try and to restart with no success. Hoping to get a bad measurement off the pick up after it was warmed, I took the reading again and they were the same values, wth! I pm'd the guy had the same problems from the link above to see what fixed his bike. And no, still no fuel inthe oil. Thank you guys for all the help.

Couple ideas:

Does it start without the choke when cold?  Unless it is really warm out it should not.  If it is set up too rich on the idle circuit (jet, fuel screw) it may be OK to start when cold but flooding at low cranking rpms when warm.

I seem to remember someone had a problem in the past where either the sparkplug or high voltage lead were arcing once hot.

Starts with choke only for initial start. After 30min cool down when it does restart, it will start w/o choke.